HELP! Skimmer gon mad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jamiewalder75

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I had some fish die so i took a sample to shop for testing as my tests all came out good. turns out my salinity reader cheap 10 jobby reads wrong and the SG was 1.030 or higher. i added 3-4L of fresh water with the plan of adding more each day to get it back down to a safe and propper salt level. after adding the fresh water the skimmer just fills up cup after cup and thousands of tiny little bubbles in the tank. i have turned the skimmer all the way down with no affect so i just turned it off completely. im wondering is there actualy somthing in this that the skimmer is taking out of the water that i cant see as its just clear but bubbles over like it would normaly or is it somin to do with the fact that i put fresh in and it dont like it. im so confused. Please help anyone. thank you

Try adjusting the air flow to the skimmer. How old is the tank setup? It is more then likely reacting to the DOC from the dead fish and adding the frest water has nothing to do with it. Are you adding tap water? I hope not!!!
TC

yes

hi there. yes tap water with declorinator. is that bad news. i plan on gettin a ro filter begining next month but was told tap would do no harm in short term. the dead fish are out and could only have been dead for no more then 2 hours as they was fine 2 hours befor i left them.

Some of the "extras" that they put in dechlorinators (slime coat enhancers, aloe, etc) will make a skimmer go berzerk. Try to get a plain jane dechlorinator with no extras.

thank you

Hi there thank you for your reply' I take it you have been there and done that. What can I do to calm it now, should I just let it run and keep emptying until it finaly calms or should I leave it off for a few days

Back
Top Bottom