Help! Tank cracked . . .

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aquaddict

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,
I just have purchased 55 gallon tank from a local store today and the side glass was cracked when I arrived at home after 10 minutes highway driving . . . I have called to the store and was told that it is totally my fault and they won't refund me at all, but after talking for a while, they agreed with me refunding 25%. Does it sound fair to you? I am asking this because I thought that the store may have some credit from the manufacture (perfecto) for returning such broken products. Did anyone have the same case? If you do, can you tell me your experience? Or someone working at the aquarium store know the back door story? Any suggestion will be appreciated. Thank you for your time!!

the tank has a warranty as long as you send in the card withing 10 days of purchase. at least my perfecto does. i would think that you could get it covered through that route if nothing else.

Thanks!

This is an issue I will should ask to the manufacture, but breaking the glass while being transportation can be covered under warranty, do you think? I am not confident with that . . . in order to get an exact answer for this, I would have to call to perfecto, I guess. Thanks for your consideration though.

worst that can happen is they tell you its not covered. worth a try i suppose.

You're right, The store should be able to exchange it for you and then they return the broken tank to the manufacturer. Was it a chain store of a local small shop.

It was a local retail shop, not a chain store . . . a big store though . . .

I would try to keep talking with the store and as a last resort if they wont exchange it just let them know you will take any future business elsewhere. Either way you have to get the tank replaced so I would keep on him then go elsewhere.

2 other routes to get something back:

1. If you pay by credit card - some premium cards have "product insurance" included. So if something breaks or get stolen within a certain time, you can get your money back from the credit card co.

2. Your house/car insurance will cover accidental breakage - although for a 55, the deductible is prob. more than the tank. <Plus insurance co have a nasty habit of jacking up your rates with claims ... so prob not a good way to go!>

I think it is best to check with Perfecto first. They are pretty good & will prob give you a "good will" return. Failing that, you can take the 25%. That would be enough to buy a new piece of glass & fix the tank yourself. <Prob. not enough to get a pro to do it tho...>

Thank you all

Thank you all for valuable opinions!! Based on the information, I will contact to the manufacture first on Monday and try to negotiate with the store after that. Again, thank you for your time for helping me out!

Back
Top Bottom