Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-13-2004, 10:17 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well Holly, you got a pretty good response here. Judging from accolades of canister filters from some savy fish folks, you'd be hard pressed to find better filtration with todays technology

Old 02-13-2004, 11:31 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have asked and listened and researched till my head is swimming.... The best conclusion I have made between canister and HOB is it is a personal preference.

They both do a good job of filtering a tank and moving water. So with that I go for the wallet affect......

I buy what ever will affect my wallet the least and still get the job done!!! LOL

Old 02-14-2004, 02:23 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I have a Filstar XP1, and I use an air pump and two air stones for surface agitation.

I'll say one thing if I haven't told you before. Check the prices online. I got ripped off for my filter because I didn't check online prices first.

Quote:
which means between the cats drinking out of it and evaporation, it's time to put in more water.
Why can't cats drink out of their dish??? My cat does the same thing!
Old 02-14-2004, 03:22 AM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Christmasfish Send a message via Skype™ to Christmasfish
My son's cat sure doesn't anymore, she did at first. Ihave most of my tanks low water line and uncovered most the day ( I cover them at night and for when we are gone . Poor Kagerouko)
That may be because my daughter's plakat used her nose as an escape tool. She beame a flying fish and a carpet swimmer in one graceful action.
The cat on the other hand ran into a wall. HEh!
I got the cat one of those fountains, ,but she always uses MY toliet when on the top floor. lazy beast!

I don't use HOB beacuse I keep low water levels for the labyrinth fish and escape artists. The splashing would bother them AND me. I haven't decided how to do this (maybe I should get that tank set up on ebay for a paltry 5k hahah. A continuous sumfin or another). I will end up using cannisters I am sure.

Mega-pet stores prolly should not be allowed to sell animals as retail "items".
Christmasfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2004, 03:28 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

I was advised to buy a Rena XP2 and I absolutely love it! It is so easy to service, and no junk ever gets in the tank, which always seemed to happen with my Aquaclear HOBs. I will never go back to HOBs after having used both, save for 10 or 15 gallon tanks.

If you get enough bio media like ceramic rings or Rena's Bio-chem stars, you'll get loads of beneficial bacteria and never worry about nitrites and ammonia. And its easy to put in a polishing pad to clear up any floating debris. I've already bought an XP3 for my next tank which is in the planning stage. It seems many planted tank folk prefer to buy oversized can filters to filter more gallons per hour.
Old 02-14-2004, 07:07 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Why can't cats drink out of their dish??? My cat does the same thing!
I am so glad I'm not alone!!! My cats go through great lengths to get up on the tanks and their water dish is refreshed every morning!!!
Old 02-14-2004, 10:59 PM   #17
AA Team Emeritus

I love my XP3, Betowess! In my heavily planted 55 I keep the spray bar below the surface for minimal agitation (you can also opt to install the power head return if you so desire) and I love everything about it, especially the adjustable flow so when I feed I turn it down and the food does not fly all over the place. I think this is kinda heavy duty filtration for a 55 with a medium fish load, but I have plans for increasing the fish load, if I can prune the plants enough to make room...
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 05:51 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Freak

Roger that TankGirl! The Rena XPs are terrific cannister filters for sure. Rex pointed me toward them. I point the spray bar back and up toward the back glass to break up the current on my little 26 gallon bow.

Another thing no one has mentioned here... isn't any healthy and mature tank's gravel going to have enough bacteria that could hold over a tank even if we say, "super clean" our filters, or if they broke down for a day or so.
Old 02-15-2004, 05:59 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

Quote:
Another thing no one has mentioned here... isn't any healthy and mature tank's gravel going to have enough bacteria that could hold over a tank even if we say, "super clean" our filters, or if they broke down for a day or so.
I think I mentioned that, on the first page. I have suffered not a bit for the lack of a biowheel on my 55. They are certainly a revolutionary development, but I don't think they are a requirement for success.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2004, 09:55 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Regular

Send a message via AIM to TN Tanks Send a message via Yahoo to TN Tanks
I think I use a pretty good setup on my 150 gal.

I have had a Fluval 404 that did an ok job, but I was underfiltered. After a green bloom, I added a Magnum 350 pro and it has done a great job of keeping the water clean. Why this combo you ask? This is why:

The Fluval 404 has great surface area for media, and 4 baskets to contain granular or larger medium. The Magnum does a good job with polishing and being a carbon filter, so with the two together I get great filtration.

On my 135 gal I have two Fluval 404's, but I keep a HOB Magnum to polish it with, however I have not needed to use it. It gets a white cloud for a day or so, but its a young tank.

Tags
canister, canister filter, canister filters, filter, filters, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com