Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-08-2009, 08:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

HELP! What have I done?

Iíve made huge mistake and donít know what to do. I finally bought my new aquarium and set it up last night. I didnít sleep a wink last night because the water pouring back into the aquarium from the filter sounded like a trickling faucet or pouring water into a glass all night! The pump on this filter is not the problem it is very quiet. The problem is the water pouring back into the aquarium from the filter. This is a filter hanging on the back of the outside of the tank. Does ANYONE have any ideas on what I can do to silence this? If not Iím going to have to disassemble everything and take it back. *sad*H2 Thank you.

Old 10-08-2009, 08:27 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

Fill it up!!!!!!! Haha, actually if you raise the water level the water won't splash as much. I usually fill mine up until I can't hear the trickling sound. The water level usually ends up being about 1/4" below the outflow of the filter (start of waterfall). Hope it helps!

Old 10-08-2009, 08:45 AM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I was wonderin the same thing - if the tank was filled all the way up.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 08:49 AM   #4

I have it filled to the brim. Any more water and it will overflow. Woud it be ok if I turned the filter off at night when I was sleeping? It would be off for eight hours and on for 16 hours a day.
Old 10-08-2009, 09:29 AM   #5
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

You can try an internal filter. Some sit in the corners, under the water level so you don't have the surface splashing. Just remember that oxygenation happens at the surface of the water so you will want movement there.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 09:37 AM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

What kinda filter is it anyway? Most HOBs I've seen do have a waterfall thing going on.

Be careful with turning it off overnite if there is no other water movement or powerheads in the tank. You'll be cutting off the oxygen supply if all was still.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:09 AM   #7

Thanks for the great replies. I think the water I'm hearing is actually inside the unit which is outside the tank. I'd have to check what kind it is when I get home but it came in a 29 gallon aquarium kit from Petco. It is so loud I can't sleep. The canister idea sounds good. I'll stop by the pet store after work and see if they have one. Any recommendations on a specific one?

Old 10-08-2009, 11:29 AM   #8
Thanx but no.....

Most HOB's have a knob/adjustment screw to control how much water is in the HOB. Tuning that to raise the water level in the HOB may help. Take some tank water and pour it in the HOB to see if the sound subsides.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Any information on the size of the tank and the size/type of filter? I've only had the waterfall noise with HOB filters when the water level in the tank is too low. Look at the inside of the tank when you fill it. If I only fill my tank to the lower edge of the top frame, I still have another 3/4" or so that I can fill.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:13 PM   #10

This is it! I found it! Someone else is complaining that it is keeping them up at night to in this review. PETCO.com Aqueon Aquarium Power Filters Customer Ratings & Reviews - Top & Best Rated Products

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com