Help! What is wrong with my filter ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
I posted somewhere else about this filter but now I am having some more issues. It is a 60gallon Tetra Whisper Filter that I got used with my 25 G tank. It seems to be in good condition, but water is only coming out of half of it. I opened the lid and there is foamy bubbly type stuff in there, almost like if soap got in there. I didn't use anything with soap when cleaning it so I don't know what is going on. I also don't know what the dial is on top of the u tube/impeller tube thing. TIA for any feedback.

EDIT: The tank also came with Bio Bag filters that you put together yourself, I opened the carbon bags and put them inside the filter so I am not sure if that would have something to do with it

That dial is your flow control and you more then likely have it trottled completely off.

I have played with it and it went from pulsating type flow to steady. I still cant get water to come out of the other side :( Is it possible I am missing a part or that something could be broken?

yes quite possible, I got one here that I will never use, its dirty but cleanable, came with a tank I got out of an abandoned foreclosure(awesome tank but they left it to die and die it did peeyew) all parts are there so if you can get me a pic of the guts of the filter running and dry I can see whats up and if you are missing anything then send you the parts for the cost of shipping since I didnt pay for the filter.

I also have a marineland HOT 250 I am looking to find a new home for, brand new impeller and magnet.

Any of the impeller blades broken? Does it seem like the impeller is 'slipping'? WhiteDevil might be able to help you out from the sounds of it.

its funny the only thing clean on this unit is the motor and impeller, got it all soaking in vinegar now.

If any of the blades were broken it would be noisy but also slow the flow down very noticeable. For it not functioning on one side sounds kinda funny, this one here pumps out both sides like crazy.

I got so many filters around here I might as well put a filter junk yard sign on my front lawn.

Ok here goes. The first one is what the filter looks like when running, all the bubbly stuff in it and the half with water running. I feel like the carbon in the filters may have made it bubbly for some reason.

The second one is all that was there. I am thinking there is supposed to be some time strip or something that goes inside the impeller tube, not sure if this is the same filter I am thinking of or not. I also took a picture of the filter cartridge that I had to put together myself to make sure I did it right. Thanks a lot for the help devil!

Attachments

• DSCF8947.jpg
    DSCF8947.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 66
  • DSCF8951.jpg
    DSCF8951.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 59
you do realize in the picture your flow is turned half way off, for full flow the narrowest part of that nob should be facing front, and buy the looks of the pics you have all the parts, as i use 2 whisper 60's on my 55g

yep, the parts are all there and look fine, turn the point on the arrow towards the front of the tank that should do the trick. and that definitely looks like soap bubbles to me. Im not sure on the bleach ratio but even straight vinegar soak and alot of rinsing and final soak/rinse in dechlorinated water.

Soap will kill everything in the water.

you do realize in the picture your flow is turned half way off, for full flow the narrowest part of that nob should be facing front, and buy the looks of the pics you have all the parts, as i use 2 whisper 60's on my 55g

Thank you! I wasn't sure what way was what. I don't have any instructions or anything, and I can't find any manual type things online.

yep, the parts are all there and look fine, turn the point on the arrow towards the front of the tank that should do the trick. and that definitely looks like soap bubbles to me. Im not sure on the bleach ratio but even straight vinegar soak and alot of rinsing and final soak/rinse in dechlorinated water.

Soap will kill everything in the water.

So I am guessing I will have to empty my tank and clean everything over again? I have had the filter on and the water has been running through it for 24 hours. I will be bummed if I have to do that but better than everything dying. I am wondering if the lady that sold it to me washed it with soap maybe. Thanks so much

yeah, to get it 100% clean itll have to be torn down and done over, if you like the decor the way it is, snap a pic and rescape it off the pic but you gotta get it all out. Hopefully someone can chime in on a bleach method but if not use the cheapest vinegar you can find and do not dilute it.

I could only find distilled white vinegar at Wally world. :( ****it! Lol. At least it was only running for a day. And my 10 is almost done. I am going to google some cleaning methods. Thanks again :D

thats what I use, wal mart doesnt spend the money to super refine it and its a little harsher then other store brands Ive noticed in both taste and smell. **** it cut away years of salt and marine algae from the 210 in a matter of hours.

Back
Top Bottom