Help with a good BUT quiet filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqualady40

Aquarium Advice Addict
Please anyone everyone suggest a quiet filter for a 40B...I bought a marineland penguin 200 bio wheel and omg it is noisy..I hear from the moment I walk into the same room its in but its clear across on the other side...grhhhh...first experience with this brand and I am not caring for it at all.....I can still take it back to LFS it has not been 30 days as of yet....HELP

Any canister filter will be much quieter and polishes the water better but if you are gonna go with HOB then ACs are pretty good.

I'm running a Fluval 406 on my 75g and it is quiet as can be. Only time I notice it is running is when the water drops below the output.

For HOB, AquaClear 70 or even a 110 on that tank. Love my 70, it's quiet.

I've got a Fluval 404 on my 29g..... I have to open the stand door to hear it, and even then it's barely audible.

Geronica said:
Please anyone everyone suggest a quiet filter for a 40B...I bought a marineland penguin 200 bio wheel and omg it is noisy..I hear from the moment I walk into the same room its in but its clear across on the other side...grhhhh...first experience with this brand and I am not caring for it at all.....I can still take it back to LFS it has not been 30 days as of yet....HELP

Have you tried messing with the impeller part? I have a Marineland emperor 400 and if I don't have the tube set in right it's noisy. It was really noisy once, so I pulled up the tube and made sure everything was where it needed to be. Filled the filter with water and then turned it on. I can barely hear mine running.

For HOB, AquaClear 70 or even a 110 on that tank. Love my 70, it's quiet.

Thanks, I just returned the MP200 and got a AC50 (within my budget..wanted the 70)...I am so happy with purchase...I do not hear the motor before getting to the tank...oh btw...I got a sticker on the filter that says with any new purchase of an AC filter I will receive free replacement filters for 1 year ...yah....

Awesome! One tip- make sure it's level. There's a little black rotating tab on the bottom. Get a bubble level on it and make sure it's good... This actually think the directions go through leveling it.. But who reads directions on a filter lol :cool: Awesome about the cartridges too!

Awesome! One tip- make sure it's level. There's a little black rotating tab on the bottom. Get a bubble level on it and make sure it's good... This actually think the directions go through leveling it.. But who reads directions on a filter lol :cool: Awesome about the cartridges too!

:lol: okay and about the bubbler, are talking about airstone?Oh and I am one of those that read atleast 50-60 percent of instructions...lol....(y)

Noooo lol... A level. One of those tools that has the bubble with the 2 lines so you can make sure something is flat/straight

I had an aqua clear on my invert tank and for a HOB( hang on back) it was amazing!!!! Quiet as can be! And filters the water amazingly!!! I use it now when I start new tanks. Do you have a fresh or saltwater tank?

I had an aqua clear on my invert tank and for a HOB( hang on back) it was amazing!!!! Quiet as can be! And filters the water amazingly!!! I use it now when I start new tanks. Do you have a fresh or saltwater tank?

Hi, I have a freshwater 40B...I have just finished building the double stand, cutting the glass top, crating caves, and purchasing the LED light, it is nice for this to be my first time DIY builds....here is a pic of it in the day/night

Attachments

• 20120919_235608.jpg
    20120919_235608.jpg
    203.4 KB · Views: 67
  • 20120924_164554.jpg
    20120924_164554.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 100
  • 20120928_193646.jpg
    20120928_193646.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 59
  • 20120928_193630.jpg
    20120928_193630.jpg