help with aquarium lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ziggy953 said:
If you don't have a hood and aren't going to build one to house a DIY lighting system then a complete fixture is your best bet. With a 4' tank you will need 2 MH bulbs to cover the tank. I kept corals (low light corals) with a 260w PC fixture, that only gives you 3.4wpg. If you are looking for only low light corals that unit will work. If you want a full blown mixed reef with SPS and some LPS coral along with a clam then you will need MH lighting.

Like I said if you aren't handy and can't build a hood to house your lights then get a complete fixture and as has been stated you do get what you pay for. Lighting and skimmers are 2 things not to skimp on! JMO!

If you are handy and can build a hood let me know and I will show you pics of my design maybe that will give you some ideas or direction.
Thanks Ziggy, can you show me a pic of your design either way. This way I can see if it's too difficult or not.

Appreciate it.

This first pic shows my 2 MH bulbs with VHOs on either side. I got the reflector from Hellolights.com. MH=2x175 VHO=2x110 570w total or 7.9wpg

lightsoffaci8.jpg

This pic shows lights on.

lightsonale7.jpg

Here is a pic of the canopy itself. I built this along with the cabinet the tank sits on.

tankandcabinet1hc7.jpg

tankcabinet2bz4.jpg

I have to take the hood off this weekend to do a bit of replumbing on my closed loop so I will take some detailed pics of the canopy for you.

Back
Top Bottom