Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-11-2007, 01:01 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
help with aquarium stand question

I have been givin the chance to take over my nephew's aquarium. The problem I am having is finding a stand for it. It is 60x24x24 Approx. 150 gallons. Online I can buy a full 150 gallon set-up for $450-600. For a stand that will fit this 60x24x24 it will end up costing me more.
Any suggestion on a place or someone that has a 60x24x24 stand for sale in the Portland area???

Gipson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2007, 01:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Activist
Didnt look to see if there was anything available but you can do a search for aquarium in the "For Sale" catagory here-->http://portland.craigslist.org/. (and be sure to browse through the "Free" section!)

Maybe look on Ebay. Narrow your search on the left to limit the distance from your area code.

Other than that, it would depend greatly on how nice you want it to look. If you want it to look like a piece of furniture, well, you're going to have to shell out extra. Either to a LFS or a local cabinet maker. If you want it to function and are not too worried about the looks, it would be cheaper to make one yourself (not saying you have no skills, just basing this on the majority of people). Or, you could possibly have a local handyman build one.

Just my suggestions. I am sure there will be others.

If you have the tools and a bit of knowledge, you could probably build one for less than $75. More if you chose to use cabinet grade materials.

55 gallon Planted - Tank Log
DIY Hood 96w 6500K
Rena Filstar Xp3
Ketso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Gipson - if you have a few tools drill, power saw, you can make a basic stand for the tank for under $100, if you want to make it look like a custom built one you can just put ply wood on the outside to cover the 2x4frame, put a door, proably for an additional $50 or so. I don't have a wood working back ground but I made one stand for a 55gal, that was over sized to fit the current 80gal I have now. I just used 2x4 put a top on it and a bottom. The main thing you want to keep in mind is you want the wood supporting the tank weight not the screws, so you stack the wood on top of each other. I'm in the process of making a stand for my 180gal. The DIY stands are typically constructed better than ones you can buy, unless they are custom jobs, and the DIY stands will be cheaper to make than buy.

Any future tank I get I will build my own stand or re-inforce the stand the tank comes with.
"Talk does not cook rice" - old Chinese proverb
(I think it means stop talking and start doing)
Idealconcepts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 07:32 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award
I agree with Idealconcepts....go with DIY if you can manage it. You will be able to cut cost and have something you made to work for you and your tank needs instead of something that has been pre-fabbed!!! I built mine out of oak and love the look I got

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2007, 10:10 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak
Nice job Ziggy...is that a column in the corners???
40gal community - wet/dry/sump -1.8wpg - planted w/Brazilian Sword,Melon Sword,Anacharis,Bannana plant,Crypt,Hornwort,Java moss
Fish - 3 Neons-1 Chocolate Albino Pleco-1 Gold Spot Pleco-2 Lavender Gouramis

55 gal QT/Breeder/Experiment
redswi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2007, 08:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
If are comfortable with woodworking and can make fairly accurate cuts you could use this generic plan. No measurements are on it because everything is relative the top. Most people don't like the overhang I have on it but I think it makes it look more like furniture when complete.
Link - http://home.cogeco.ca/~plecosterone/...m%20Stands.htm

The beautiful balance of nature is just everything running around eating each other.

My Tank pics - http://home.cogeco.ca/~plecosterone/My%20Tank.htm
Plecosterone is offline   Reply With Quote

aquarium stand, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com