Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Help with canister filter

Brought a tank off a friend brother and he gave me his canister filter he showed me how to set it up and I've done what he said I turned it on and it was all fine, then it started leaking from the top that screws in, I turned it off got rid of the water unscrewed it and checked the rubber bit and then put it on again and pushed down on it to make sure it was in, there's a clip on it that clicked to say its locks turned it on again and it happened again, the filter is a aquis 1000 I have looked on the internet and I can't find anything could anyone suggest an issue?

Old 10-29-2013, 05:01 PM   #2

I don't have experience with that filter but my experiences with other canister filters a little Vaseline on the rubber seal helped stop any leaks I had.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:24 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

You could try what Sam suggested but personally I would just replace the O ring. Here is what you need, PLEASE double check that it's for your filter. I'm not sure if they ship to your part of the world. Email them. The O rings should be replaced every year or so, just to be safe. Generously rub some Vaseline between your fingers and run the rubber ring between your fingers. This keeps the rubber soft and stops it drying out and cracking, causing leaks. I would imagine that's what happened in your case, especially if it hadn't be changed/used in a while....

Aquis CF1000 / CF1200 Main Sealing Ring - Buy Aqua One with confidence at Aquarium Parts
Old 10-30-2013, 09:31 AM   #4

The filters only a couple of months old and it got emptied about 12 hours before I filled it, I'll try it out after I go get some

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com