Help with canister filter 911!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mysticalkitten

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just bought a SunSun HW -302 canister filter from EBay. This is my first time buying and using one. I'm adding it to my 55 gallon tank that already has an hanging filter on it. My question is when opening the box to put the canister filter together.i found out from reading the manual this model did not come with a uv light. It does not even come with a switch to run one off or on. I found out I can buy and add one on. What does a uv light do and do I really need it for my gold fish tank? I'm so new to this back than you just toss a fish in a bowl andbthats it lol..also looking at YouTube videos some people use lava rock in stead of the bio balls I'm confused about what is what and what to use can some one break this down for me it's enough to make my head hurt.:banghead:

You don’t need a uv light. I have one on a tank same model. It’s nice but not a necessity. The point of whatever you put in the media baskets it a nice place for beneficial bacteria to colonize. Some people swear 100% filter floss is fine. Or you can buy lots of other fancy media’s.

You don’t need a uv light. I have one on a tank same model. It’s nice but not a necessity. The point of whatever you put in the media baskets it a nice place for beneficial bacteria to colonize. Some people swear 100% filter floss is fine. Or you can buy lots of other fancy media’s.

Best filter media I have found to date: Plastic Scrubbies

DSC09632.JPG

They have tons of surface area, will never ever clog up like other medias, are simple to clean, super cheap, and will stay around longer than the aquarist using them.

Thanks every one for the advice, who new you can use scrubbies. Adding that to my list of things I need to buy before putting this thing together. What about filter floss? A viedo I was looking at setting up for gold fish said because they are so dirty you need to add floss too. So far there's three trays I add the bio balls and they have theses little looks like plastic thing too for bio I mix them together than on top add a charcoal bag with a filter pad on top. We're do I add this floss stuff. The Manuel for this filter omg does not tell you anything so I'm going in blind here and been looking at tons of viedos I hope when I'm done I can enjoy my fish so far the dog is looking a lot better than the fish lol..jk I do love my fish and want a healthy tank.

Typically, filtration will go through a few different types of mechanical filtration before getting to the biological filtration.

It will start with coarse mechanical filtration and then move its way up to finer media with filter floss being the finest. The drawback to using fine filtration media is that it quickly clogs up and can very easily restrict flow in the filter requiring more frequent maintenance.

After fine filtration media then comes the biological and chemical filtration.

M. Don't be surprised if Fluval suddenly pulls Biomax off the shelves and starts selling "Srubbies". Great idea. :)

I use sponges and floss on the bottom tray. Course sponge on the very bottom, medium sponge on top of that and then fine floss. In the next 2 trays I have all biomedia and some coral/aragonite.

Back
Top Bottom