help with canister filter PLEASE

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heathers_hounds

Aquarium Advice Regular
HI, I have been in process of setting up 100 gal tank... sand is in, water has been in for days and I have had nothing but trouble getting filter to work. I have a Cascade 1000 canister filter. Due to me hooking things up wrong first go around..I cut hose to short. I bought some vinyl tubing from Ace hardware to replace. I only had to replace the in hose. The tubing is much thicker and harder than original but it fits. I have primed and primed and waited. I have filled the filter up with tank water manually as well. Question on filter IN and OUT.. Is "IN" water going in to filter and OUT water going out of filter or vise versa?? when I prime I can see my clear replacement hose on the in valve filling up from filter. Makes me think I have it backwards. UGH From cutting hose too short to one of my glass top lids falling it and a piece breaking off, I am frustrated! I have called Penn-Plax a few times and only get a recording. Thank You

fireflygirl said:
HI, I have been in process of setting up 100 gal tank... sand is in, water has been in for days and I have had nothing but trouble getting filter to work. I have a Cascade 1000 canister filter. Due to me hooking things up wrong first go around..I cut hose to short. I bought some vinyl tubing from Ace hardware to replace. I only had to replace the in hose. The tubing is much thicker and harder than original but it fits. I have primed and primed and waited. I have filled the filter up with tank water manually as well. Question on filter IN and OUT.. Is "IN" water going in to filter and OUT water going out of filter or vise versa?? when I prime I can see my clear replacement hose on the in valve filling up from filter. Makes me think I have it backwards. UGH From cutting hose too short to one of my glass top lids falling it and a piece breaking off, I am frustrated! I have called Penn-Plax a few times and only get a recording. Thank You

Not sure with your filter but with mine IN is where the water enters the filter and OUT is where it exits.

The hoses and valves are colored, blue is intake and black is exhaust (out), once hooked up open both control levers, prime the filter, have to press hard until you heard water filling the canister. Wait a minute and plug in! I have to same canister. :0

Thank you. My hoses were both black. Valves are colored with a blue one and black one. wather is rising in the hose I have connected to the in valve, You would think it would be draining from tank into filter. I have sucked on the hose that puts water out into aquarium till water came out and nothing. I don't think it is sucking water from tank, It def isn't putting out through spay bar. Idk what else to do. the filter is full of water.

fireflygirl said:
Thank you. My hoses were both black. Valves are colored with a blue one and black one. wather is rising in the hose I have connected to the in valve, You would think it would be draining from tank into filter. I have sucked on the hose that puts water out into aquarium till water came out and nothing. I don't think it is sucking water from tank, It def isn't putting out through spay bar. Idk what else to do. the filter is full of water.

Take a look at your valves that screw on to the motor unit. Make sure the blue in connected to the blue in port and the black to black port. And check to make sure the the hoses with the blue and black rings match up with the blue and black ports. Are both flow levers open all the way? Empty the filter and start over and see what happens. Here's a picture of my filter.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111102_202840.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111102_202840.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 139
It sounds like a hose isn't hooked up right. The spray bar also should have the blue ring on it and the filter tube/intake should have the black ring on it. Wish I could be more help, but I can't think of any thing else!

By the way what broke off? Can you post a picture? That could be your problem. In that case you may need to order a new part. I'm quessing here...

My glass top fell in tank and cracked a piece off...I'm posting pics of my set up clear hose on blue valve is connected to filter intake , black hose with black valve is connected to spray bar

Attachments

• DSCN9173.jpg
    DSCN9173.jpg
    231.5 KB · Views: 139
  • DSCN9174.jpg
    DSCN9174.jpg
    223.4 KB · Views: 136
  • DSCN9175.jpg
    DSCN9175.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 144
  • DSCN9176.jpg
    DSCN9176.jpg
    205.2 KB · Views: 124
Ok I'm thinking I'm missing a piece! A connector that goes from top media basket with seal ring. ?? There is no connector piece. There is a white rubber like seal. There is a small tube like piece coming off of motor but nothing I had to install as shown in directions

fireflygirl said:
Ok I'm thinking I'm missing a piece! A connector that goes from top media basket with seal ring. ?? There is no connector piece. There is a white rubber like seal. There is a small tube like piece coming off of motor but nothing I had to install as shown in directions

There isn't a connector piece, I was confused when I saw the picture to! Just the rubber seal that fits on the motor on to the media basket.

Have you tried taking the propeller out and resetting it? When you plug the filter in does it make any kind of start up noise?

From your pictures I can't see what piece got broke.

OK. That's good to know. I took the propeller out and back in, I tried to turn it and it did some but it then felt as if I might break it if I kept turning, so I left it alone. Nothing on the filter got broke, I was ranting about during trying to get this going my glass lid fell in tank and cracked a piece off of it..could have been worse! I have worked on this a little each day..I could hear something at one point. I could hear water coming in, bubbles and then a sound as though maybe something was working but nothing. At one point filter was running kind of loud. Now I can hear a slight noise when on but nothing else even after priming. When I prime water comes out of spray bar and then through the filter hose when I pump it drains into filter and then starts rising back up hose. Thank you for taking the time to help out!

This is a stupid question on my part but after you prime the filter and wait a minute did you plug in the filter? After I cleaned my filter one time, and being in a hurry, I couldn't figure out why my filter wouldn't start, forgot to plug it in! Lol

Sorry I couldn't have been helpful. Let me know if you get the darn thing running!

lol yes I plugged it in. I got a reply back from Penn-Plax. She suggested I unplug, close both valves and prime a few times, plug in and let run 2-3 min with valves closed then open valves and should start filtering. It didn't work for me but may help someone else someday. She confirmed what you said about not having a connector piece to install. Use to there was but now comes attached already. My white rubber seal ring is torn and looks aged(even though it's never been used), I let them know that and her response was send it to us and we will replace it. That's great, seeing how I purchased the filter over 3 yrs ago with tank and am just now taking out of box to set up due to flooring issues. I just hate the fact I have to wait longer. I'm wondering how this will effect my water. It has already been sitting over a week with no filtration. I almost want to ask if I can just go ahead and upgrade and pay difference for a larger filter(now that I have done my research and realize it's better to go bigger)! Thanks so much for your responses!

when I had a problem with an old cannister priming I just sucked the hose connected to the spray bar until water came out of it then pluged it in.I later found the filter was too low below the water level.but it ran

fireflygirl said:
lol yes I plugged it in. I got a reply back from Penn-Plax. She suggested I unplug, close both valves and prime a few times, plug in and let run 2-3 min with valves closed then open valves and should start filtering. It didn't work for me but may help someone else someday. She confirmed what you said about not having a connector piece to install. Use to there was but now comes attached already. My white rubber seal ring is torn and looks aged(even though it's never been used), I let them know that and her response was send it to us and we will replace it. That's great, seeing how I purchased the filter over 3 yrs ago with tank and am just now taking out of box to set up due to flooring issues. I just hate the fact I have to wait longer. I'm wondering how this will effect my water. It has already been sitting over a week with no filtration. I almost want to ask if I can just go ahead and upgrade and pay difference for a larger filter(now that I have done my research and realize it's better to go bigger)! Thanks so much for your responses!

Do you have a powerhead or HOB filter you can use until you get your canister? Now would be a great time to start. your fishless cycle! Otherwise I would probably drain the tank and wait for the canister to arrive. What's a few more days waiting after waiting three years! Lol

I have the 1000 canister on my my 40 gallon breeder plus a HOB filter rated for a 50 gal tank! Might be a good idea to upgrade to a larger one, or buy another and have two running on your tank.

Don't throw your old canister away....just in case you need a hose ( cut to short) ! ;)

let me know when you have your filter and the tank is up and running, pictures please!! Lol

To David- I tried sucking on that hose till I got water, it never started flowing. I also have wondered about the placement of filter. I have never used the canister type so thought it must be right if that's what comes with it, but my filter intake is only a few inches from bottom of tank. tank height is almost 18 inches and the filter intake sits about prob 4-5 inches from bottom.

To ocean I know, I know about what's another week after waiting so long!lol only thing is, I purchased tahitian moon sand that is aquarium ready so I really don't want to drain the water. I am going to see if I can get my powerhead or smaller filter running on it for now. I def will post pics later

the only other thing I can think of is to remove the impellor and shaft from the housing,check for any abnormalities,clean and put back,you should be able to spin the impellor when in place,if you cant you may need to replace it.Hopefully the pump has never been pluged in without the impellor in place!!

You might also want to take another look at the impeller. I had an issue with one where the propeller part was attached to the shaft with a ceramic piece that broke when I reinstalled it. I could turn the blades completely around. Of course, it wasnt supposed to do that! The ceramic had broken and the magnet was turning, but the blades werent and I had no water flow.

Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom