Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 01-06-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Question Help with DIY Co2

My system is working, I just need help getting my bps where they should be (i guess 1 bps, not sure)

my tank is 20h, moderately/heavy planted, dose flourish comp and excel ferts, 2 13 watt cfl 65000k each, photsynthesis time is 8-9 hours mstly 8 though.

My bubbles are releasing 1 every 5 sec or so....
I am using 64 oz (1.89 liter) ketchup bottle 1 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

How do I get 1bps or is that what I should be aiming for?
__________________

__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:20 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
foster53's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,626
I am using a DIY co2 reactor also. All I can get is one bubble every 5-6 seconds. I just made up another reactor and piggy backed it with the first one to see if that will help.
__________________

__________________
foster53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
[QUOTE=foster53;2269970]I am using a DIY co2 reactor also. All I can get is one bubble every 5-6 seconds. I just made up another reactor and piggy backed it with the first one to see if that will help.[/Q

How ironic you said this...I actually made 2 bottles (generators) then 1 gas exchange (water bottle) and now one will release a bubble then 1-3 secs the other releases a bubble so I hope that will be okay...My fluval bubble counter and co2 difuser should be here tomorrow...
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:09 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
I would really like some members who have done a DIY co2 to chime in here. I just received my fluval bubble counter and diffuser yesterday... for the life of me...I need assistance....
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
jmeheliboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronica View Post
My system is working, I just need help getting my bps where they should be (i guess 1 bps, not sure)

my tank is 20h, moderately/heavy planted, dose flourish comp and excel ferts, 2 13 watt cfl 65000k each, photsynthesis time is 8-9 hours mstly 8 though.

My bubbles are releasing 1 every 5 sec or so....
I am using 64 oz (1.89 liter) ketchup bottle 1 3/4 cup of sugar, 1/2 tsp baking soda, and 1/2 tsp active dry yeast

How do I get 1bps or is that what I should be aiming for?
Ok I mite be able to help I have a 2l cola bottle I use 2 cups suger Lemmon juice and yeast and a dab of vinegar I get one bubble ever 2---3 sec for 2 weeks
But I use it in line so the so the co2 gets smashed up by the pump into micro bubbles and pushed to the bottom of the tank my
Plants are purling all day long
__________________
jmeheliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmeheliboy View Post
Ok I mite be able to help I have a 2l cola bottle I use 2 cups suger Lemmon juice and yeast and a dab of vinegar I get one bubble ever 2---3 sec for 2 weeks
But I use it in line so the so the co2 gets smashed up by the pump into micro bubbles and pushed to the bottom of the tank my
Plants are purling all day long
Okay what do you mean by "I use it in line...."? Also, how much lemon juice, yeast, vinegar?
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:39 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
jmeheliboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronica View Post

Okay what do you mean by "I use it in line...."? Also, how much lemon juice, yeast, vinegar?
In line I mean my co2 goes in my pump out let. 3oz of lemon juice and 10 ml of vinegar but the important is getting the co2 in line
Just before the pump proper so it can smash in to micro bubbles and push to bottom of the tank that way all the co2 gets used
__________________
jmeheliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:21 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brussels
Posts: 48
I'm using 2x 2l bottles each filled 3/4 with hot water and 2 cups of sugar dissolved, 1/4 tsp yeast (I also recycle some from depleted bottles) and 1/2 tsp baking soda.
I get 2 bps for about 10 days.

+1 for injecting straight into powerhead nozzle and avoiding co2 diffusors that require pressure buildup.
__________________
Fredje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
Aqualady40's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
Posts: 1,330
This is the diffuser I have (cannot get enough pressure for it to work, I guess)
Amazon.com: Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser - 3.1 Ounces: Pet Supplies

This is a 20H planted tank and I am using aquaclear 20 filter...any ideas (other than line going in filter intake) for a diffuser that won't need alot of pressure for it to work, whether it is a diy or item at store?
__________________
Current tanks: 55g/ 40B/ 20H/, 5g
If you always do what you've always done, you'll end with the same results
Aqualady40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:31 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist
 
jmeheliboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronica View Post
This is the diffuser I have (cannot get enough pressure for it to work, I guess)
Amazon.com: Fluval Ceramic 88g-CO2 Diffuser - 3.1 Ounces: Pet Supplies

This is a 20H planted tank and I am using aquaclear 20 filter...any ideas (other than line going in filter intake) for a diffuser that won't need alot of pressure for it to work, whether it is a diy or item at store?
You should get pressure for diy CO2
__________________

__________________
jmeheliboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
co2, diy, diy co2

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.