Help with filter media for eheim 2215

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcgolg76

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just bought a 75g aquarium on Craig's list. Came with an eheim 2215 cannister. I have never used a cannister before and am confused about the different types of filter media it came with. Can some body help me with what they are and what order to place it.

Attachments

• image-692643594.jpg
    image-692643594.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 69
The top left sponge goes in a ring that sits on the very top of the filter baskets. Then the sponges go from the coarsest on the bottom getting finer the further up it goes. I would put the ceramic rings at the top so they don't collect crud but they can really go anywhere.

The blue top left sponge actually looks like its been cut. I cant see the 2215s media being any different to the 2217 and the 2213 which i own. Looks to me like he may have cut a ring out to fill with bio rings. I dont know why he would do this though. The white floss would go at the very top for water polishing. Those other sponges look black? If so theyre carbon and if theyve been used id throw them out as they will no longer be active. If not and theyre sponges, give them a good wash!

Ty. And noise went away. I stuffed an extra filter from my penguin 150 in their hoping that will help me cycle faster. Should i just stuff it anywhere in the filter or should i put in specific spot?

I just didn't have one of valves turned right. Now more quiet then filters in my other tank.

That blue sponge is the exact same one that my eheim filter has. It has it's own basket that sits on top and acts sort of like a pre filter.

I would put it after the first sponge at the bottom so that the water will be drawn up through the established media youve added and then through the 2215s media youre trying to colonize.

I hate to say it but another small filter will be required as the 2215 wont adequately filter a 75gallon tank but will do for now while cycling.

That blue sponge is the exact same one that my eheim filter has. It has it's own basket that sits on top and acts sort of like a pre filter.

Im aware of the eccos having baskets with a ringed sponge and the 2213 has a basket without but not sure about the 2215 so cant 100% argue. Did you recieve any sort of basket OP?

Nice move on the extra filter.

No basket was given to me. He gave me what ever he had. Can't complain. Got a 75 g tank. A beautiful aquarium stand. The cannister. Two 200 watt heaters. Looks like a nice light fixture with the bulbs. And a large sized aquarium vacuum. All for 200$.

Attachments

• image-1830340552.jpg
    image-1830340552.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 60
Yeah lol. Felt like a good deal. On the posting he only listed the tank lights and stand. Felt like i got a good deal then. Was presently surprised when he gave me exta stuff without charging

Are there holes in the back of the cab for filter hoses?
Oh and have you decided what you going to be keeping in it?

The back of the stand is wall less. Still playing around with stock. Hopefully cycling will be faster this time since I have filter media from my other tank.

Going community and current list is

Pair of pearl gouramis
Pair of Bolivian rams
School of some type of cory
School of kuhli loach and perhaps if I can find a school of zebra loaches
Will move my rasboras from old tank to this one
Possibly a bristle nose pleco and a school of ottos for algae control

Maybe room for another school of fish. Would love marble hatchets but not sure if that would work with gouramis.

So much more I can do with a 75 then a 20. Should be fun

My 2215 came with 3 pads and brown bio balls. No baskets, just a grill for the bottom and another for the top. I now run it with seachem matrix, purigen and floss. It runs perfectly silent, but whenever I have a power outage the flimsy metal clips don't hold and the Motörhead pops up, emptying the contents of the aquarium across my lounge room floor.
I have it on a 40g as well as a 1500l/hr sunsun.

Back
Top Bottom