Help with Fluval 305

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr. Scroggins..

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i just went through my weekly water change/filter cleaning... i cant get my Fluval 305 to start back up... i just rinsed all the baskets and sponges, pulled the impeller, cleaned the hole it goes in, filled the canister up with water, and put it back together... i can hear the impeller going, but i cant get it to start suction. there is no flow...

anyone have any experience like this that can shed some light???

thank you, and PLEASE HELP ME!!!!

Is the impeller actually spinning or are you just hearing the motor hum? I don't have any canister filters, but I've run into this problem on HOB filters in the past.

Other than that, I can only guess that there's air in the system.

i can hear the impeller moving but it sounds dry. i filled it with water, and did a manual pump just to be sure. if there is air in the can it's a very small amount...

figured it out!!! turns out the fluval 05 series is a gravity fed system. my mistake was filling the canister before putting the motor/lid back on.. i emptied it, sucked on the out put end, which started filling the canister, plugged it in and she fired right up!!

thanks for the assistance on this one guys.

i was going to suggest tilting the can forward about 2"... thats usually how i get mine primed if it every has any problems... it is gravity fed and uses the impeller to push the water back up, by tilting it forward, you're pushing water out, therefore sucking water in in a sense... but your way works too

I've found that keeping the hoses as short as practical helps. The instructions say no loops. I think 'no sags' is more helpful advice. I had a little slack, forming a lazy 'S' in the lines, like a sink drain trap but not so tight and this gave me a pain restarting. Now that I've shortened the lines, it usually restarts without pumping the primer as long as I don't mess with the hoses. Any air bubbles can head straight up the hoses and you have a better chance of the impeller area not getting airlocked.

Back
Top Bottom