Help with HOB Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scottyhorse

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have two AC 20 filters, one on a 25g tank and another on a 20 long. Both were working fine then one day the output went to a trickle. I have taken the filters apart, cleaned, cleaned the media, etc. The flow is a bit better after that, but still not good at all. Not only is the trickling annoying as heck (tanks are in my room) I can't imagine it's good for the tank/filter either. Anything else I can do? I don't have any spare filters and I don't have an extra $60 to get new ones... :ermm:

Did you clean the impeller inside the motor? I have an Aquaclear and it sometimes gets clogged up with algae and slime. When you cleaned the filter, did you take it all the way apart? A lot of stuff gets trapped in the little motor compartment. You will also have that problem when the bio sponge gets clogged. I take mine out at least every two weeks and clean and beat it on the side of the bucket. Use treated water or tank water for this. You will be amazed how much crude gets trapped in those sponges. Be sure to check the impeller blades to make sure none are broken off. I lost a lot of flow when one of the fans broke off. You can get replacements online.

I took it as far apart as I could. Not sure if I took it all the way apart though. I did get a lot of stuff off the sponges ( I think it's all sponges in there.) But I didn't want to get all the gunk off them in fear of getting rid of all the BB. Is that possible? I cleaned the impeller and the impeller housing. Nothing looked broken to me.

The only other thing that should be an issue is the powerhead. Try using a cotton bud to clean the inside of those of you haven't already. When the sponge fills and the filter slows down the powerheads sometimes clog up a lot too.

I took it as far apart as I could. Not sure if I took it all the way apart though. I did get a lot of stuff off the sponges ( I think it's all sponges in there.) But I didn't want to get all the gunk off them in fear of getting rid of all the BB. Is that possible? I cleaned the impeller and the impeller housing. Nothing looked broken to me.

Don't be afraid to give your filter sponges a good scrubbing.
Your bacteria will stay.

I have two AC 20 filters, one on a 25g tank and another on a 20 long. Both were working fine then one day the output went to a trickle. I have taken the filters apart, cleaned, cleaned the media, etc. The flow is a bit better after that, but still not good at all. Not only is the trickling annoying as heck (tanks are in my room) I can't imagine it's good for the tank/filter either. Anything else I can do? I don't have any spare filters and I don't have an extra $60 to get new ones... :ermm:
Hi. Try removing ALL the media, store it in some used tank water and then run the filter with no media in it at all. This will test the impella and motor head without taking anything apart. You then know if it's the motor/impella or the media....

For better access to the impeller area, the motor can be removed by twisting it 90 degrees (cannot recall the direction; counter clockwise?). You can use a q-tip style cotton swab to clean out the impeller socket after removing the impeller. As mentioned above, a "dry run" without media is a good way to test out the flow.

Hi. Try removing ALL the media, store it in some used tank water and then run the filter with no media in it at all. This will test the impella and motor head without taking anything apart. You then know if it's the motor/impella or the media....

Oh that is a good idea. I will try that in a little bit. Thanks :)

For better access to the impeller area, the motor can be removed by twisting it 90 degrees (cannot recall the direction; counter clockwise?). You can use a q-tip style cotton swab to clean out the impeller socket after removing the impeller. As mentioned above, a "dry run" without media is a good way to test out the flow.

Ok thats what I did.

Forgot to say - filters are working again and the tanks have this new thing called water flow! Media was just really gunky and nasty. Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom