Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-30-2013, 03:05 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Help with HOB Filters?

I have two AC 20 filters, one on a 25g tank and another on a 20 long. Both were working fine then one day the output went to a trickle. I have taken the filters apart, cleaned, cleaned the media, etc. The flow is a bit better after that, but still not good at all. Not only is the trickling annoying as heck (tanks are in my room) I can't imagine it's good for the tank/filter either. Anything else I can do? I don't have any spare filters and I don't have an extra $60 to get new ones...

3, 20, 25, 33 Gallon FW Tanks.....For Now

Scottyhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 03:16 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Did you clean the impeller inside the motor? I have an Aquaclear and it sometimes gets clogged up with algae and slime. When you cleaned the filter, did you take it all the way apart? A lot of stuff gets trapped in the little motor compartment. You will also have that problem when the bio sponge gets clogged. I take mine out at least every two weeks and clean and beat it on the side of the bucket. Use treated water or tank water for this. You will be amazed how much crude gets trapped in those sponges. Be sure to check the impeller blades to make sure none are broken off. I lost a lot of flow when one of the fans broke off. You can get replacements online.

Old 12-30-2013, 03:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I took it as far apart as I could. Not sure if I took it all the way apart though. I did get a lot of stuff off the sponges ( I think it's all sponges in there.) But I didn't want to get all the gunk off them in fear of getting rid of all the BB. Is that possible? I cleaned the impeller and the impeller housing. Nothing looked broken to me.

Old 12-30-2013, 04:10 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only other thing that should be an issue is the powerhead. Try using a cotton bud to clean the inside of those of you haven't already. When the sponge fills and the filter slows down the powerheads sometimes clog up a lot too.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:41 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I took it as far apart as I could. Not sure if I took it all the way apart though. I did get a lot of stuff off the sponges ( I think it's all sponges in there.) But I didn't want to get all the gunk off them in fear of getting rid of all the BB. Is that possible? I cleaned the impeller and the impeller housing. Nothing looked broken to me.
Don't be afraid to give your filter sponges a good scrubbing.
Your bacteria will stay.
Old 12-30-2013, 06:45 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottyhorse View Post
I have two AC 20 filters, one on a 25g tank and another on a 20 long. Both were working fine then one day the output went to a trickle. I have taken the filters apart, cleaned, cleaned the media, etc. The flow is a bit better after that, but still not good at all. Not only is the trickling annoying as heck (tanks are in my room) I can't imagine it's good for the tank/filter either. Anything else I can do? I don't have any spare filters and I don't have an extra $60 to get new ones...
Hi. Try removing ALL the media, store it in some used tank water and then run the filter with no media in it at all. This will test the impella and motor head without taking anything apart. You then know if it's the motor/impella or the media....
Old 12-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

For better access to the impeller area, the motor can be removed by twisting it 90 degrees (cannot recall the direction; counter clockwise?). You can use a q-tip style cotton swab to clean out the impeller socket after removing the impeller. As mentioned above, a "dry run" without media is a good way to test out the flow.
Old 12-30-2013, 05:37 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Hi. Try removing ALL the media, store it in some used tank water and then run the filter with no media in it at all. This will test the impella and motor head without taking anything apart. You then know if it's the motor/impella or the media....
Oh that is a good idea. I will try that in a little bit. Thanks

Old 12-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fresh2o View Post
For better access to the impeller area, the motor can be removed by twisting it 90 degrees (cannot recall the direction; counter clockwise?). You can use a q-tip style cotton swab to clean out the impeller socket after removing the impeller. As mentioned above, a "dry run" without media is a good way to test out the flow.
Ok thats what I did.

Old 12-30-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by BL1ND1ND3X View Post
Don't be afraid to give your filter sponges a good scrubbing.
Your bacteria will stay.
So would it be safe to get ALL the gunk off?

Tags
filter, filters, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com