Help with Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Elaine79

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have had a 29 gallon tank for about 3 weeks now (it is still cycling with 2 black mollies). It is my first tank.

I would like to have real plants in it. I have some now, but I don't think they are doing so well. I ordered a Zoo Med Flora Sun Maximum Growth Fluorescent bulb for my 24" hood, but I was disappointed when it came and it was only 17 watts. That's less than the 20 watt bulb that came with my tank. The website said that it was great for plants, but isn't that not enough wattage?

Can anyone suggest a florescent bulb for my tank? I am pretty confused with all the different color/spectrum options.

If it helps, I have a small CO2 diffuser that is probably more suited to a 20 gallon tank but I guess it is better than nothing. And there is only one spot for a bulb in the hood.

Any help would be appreciated!

:p

You will need a new hood for anything other than low light plants. They sell 30" light strips with two 20watt bulbs, but even 40watts is dim for a 29gal. And you will need a new hood to fit the wider light strip. I learned this the hard way.

I recently bought a twin bulb for my 29gal, but now I wish I had paid a little more to get a 65watt power compact (or compact fluorescent).

The color thing is definitely confusing. For plants it is suggested to get a K rating between 5500 and 10,000. Here is the light strip I want:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29549;category_id=1875;pcid1=1843;pcid2=

This light strip is only 24in long. The 30in long had the exact same bulb in it but I can't remember where I found it.

Back
Top Bottom