Help with Lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mykpoz

Aquarium Advice Freak
First off, thanks for all the help everyone has responded with in my previous posts.

The story continues here....

The wife and myself, had decided on a 55gal for the size of the tank.... until she goes to the LFS with me to look at the items we are going to get. She didn't like it, saying it looked to small, she picked out a 75g, needless to say i didn't argue with her.

Now I was going to ask when we purchased the 55gal, but now that we have both agreed on the 75g, i need to now start looking at Lights and the skimmer.

I have a 29g that was donated to me, that i will probably make my sump, and possibly later into a fuge (one step at a time.)

I am currently looking at the CPR SR4 skimmer as its an in sump model and spec's rate it to 120gal. I am finding this online for @200 + freight (if you know of a better place to pick this up, please point me in the right direction.)

Now on to the lighting and the topic of the post...

the 29 gal donor gave me two custom sea life ballasts rated for 1x65watt or 1x96watt light. I don't know if these are good ballasts, or if i should look at a different lighting setup ( and save these for the fuge)

So my question to the masses is this...

given the info 75g tank with a DIY canopy, what setup would you recommend to do a wide variety of corals, without getting TOO crazy?

TIA

If your are doing a DIY canopy, I would go with retro-fit kits. If you want to kep a wide variety of corals tink MH. If you want to keep a good variety of corals think CF or VHO. If y uever see yourself wanting SPS corals, super-colored clams and high-light anemones MH would be best. Everything esle can be kept under CF or VHO.

right i have been looking at retro kits.

I dont have to do clams (as i understand they require a ton of light)

I do want to keep a good variet off corals, and maybe a anemone for a clown, but other then that, i don't expect to have a ton of anemone's (just 1 or maybe 2)

The main reason for the post is, that this will be my first marine setup, and I kinda overwhelmed regarding what would be needed for lighting...

captivereefs.com had two i was looking at

CoralVue 48" Four Bulb T-5 Retro Kit. Includes reflector, 4 bulbs, electronic ballast, waterproof endcaps, and power cord. for 225

48" Coralife Aqualight™ Retrofit - 2-65 watt True Actinic 03 and 2-65 watt 10,000K™ Daylight Compact Fluorescent Lamps Straight Pin Base.46":x5.5"x1.25" for 180

will either of those setups be good enough to keep a good variety?

A good general rule of thumb when using fluorescent lighting is 3-5 watts of light (or more) per gallon of aquarium capacity. In order to keep a good variety of coral you will want to be on the upper end of that scale (4+ WPG). Some corals/clams require a more intense light than fluorescents can provide, that is where MH's come in to play. HTH

this would be a good fixture for a FOWLR. Some caution is in order. This company comes with mixed reviews and the fact that this fixture is not being made anymore under the Jebo name could mean no more warrenty. I woul be leary.

Back
Top Bottom