Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

help with my sump

Hi everyone. First post. I need some help, i have a BIG (14") NASTY gold fish in a 30 gallon tank, and i was wanting to set up my 10 gallon tank as a sump under it with moving bed filters so that i could add a couple more fish. the original plan was to use a 300 gph power head i had laying around to pump water back up to the display, and then 2 siphon hoses from the display tank to supply the filter containers directly. Two 1 gallon hi-c bottles with air stones would contain the media. and they would over flow into the 10 gallon tank at which point the sump would pump it back to the display tank.

THE PROBLEM: i was thinking i could use the air port on the power head to suck the air from the highest point of the siphon tube. in the event i lost power it would start back up and run normally. but when i hooked the large hose to the power head, the air tube starting pumping water OUT instead of air IN. So now im stuck on how to keep my siphon going, or restarting if the pump starts back up.

anyone got any advice for this situation? Thanks

Edit, btw, i should mention the budget is pretty tight. so the less i have to buy the better.

Old 06-28-2011, 03:01 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

The only suggestion I can offer is to get a large pond setup for a fish that big. That and a couple friends for him.

Old 06-30-2011, 01:16 AM   #3

thats what my friend said.. dont really have money for a pond, and not sure what to do with him during the winter besides heat the water with plastic over it..
Old 06-30-2011, 01:57 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Then I'd suggest seeing if you can donate it or trade it at a LFS and make your tank a community tank or something.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #5

He's bad off right now. I'm gonna trade him for store credit when he gets healthy. Now i got all this goldie food lol. . Is he really to big for 45 gallons? He moves around fine..
Old 06-30-2011, 02:44 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC_Biggs View Post
He's bad off right now. I'm gonna trade him for store credit when he gets healthy. Now i got all this goldie food lol. . Is he really to big for 45 gallons? He moves around fine..
Rehoming the fish truly is the best option here.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sump

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com