help with my sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JC_Biggs

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone. First post. I need some help, i have a BIG (14") NASTY gold fish in a 30 gallon tank, and i was wanting to set up my 10 gallon tank as a sump under it with moving bed filters so that i could add a couple more fish. the original plan was to use a 300 gph power head i had laying around to pump water back up to the display, and then 2 siphon hoses from the display tank to supply the filter containers directly. Two 1 gallon hi-c bottles with air stones would contain the media. and they would over flow into the 10 gallon tank at which point the sump would pump it back to the display tank.

THE PROBLEM: i was thinking i could use the air port on the power head to suck the air from the highest point of the siphon tube. in the event i lost power it would start back up and run normally. but when i hooked the large hose to the power head, the air tube starting pumping water OUT instead of air IN. So now im stuck on how to keep my siphon going, or restarting if the pump starts back up.

anyone got any advice for this situation? Thanks

Edit, btw, i should mention the budget is pretty tight. so the less i have to buy the better.

thats what my friend said.. dont really have money for a pond, and not sure what to do with him during the winter besides heat the water with plastic over it..

He's bad off right now. I'm gonna trade him for store credit when he gets healthy. Now i got all this goldie food lol. . Is he really to big for 45 gallons? He moves around fine..

Back
Top Bottom