help with new ai sol blue lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Antec

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok so i got my 2 ai sol blue modules for my 90g tank yesterday, and i bought them with the rail mouting system. theyre only about 3" from the waterling, any way to raise them up a little. I am having a spotlight effect and getting some dark corners.

next question is what is a good lighting scedule for them i want to have softies, lps, nems, and maybe some sps in the future.

final question is that it seems that the two lights dont have the same color that their giving off even though theyre supposed to be the same model(blue) and set tat the same intensity via the controller.

thanks in advance

Antec said:
ok so i got my 2 ai sol blue modules for my 90g tank yesterday, and i bought them with the rail mouting system. theyre only about 3" from the waterling, any way to raise them up a little. I am having a spotlight effect and getting some dark corners.

next question is what is a good lighting scedule for them i want to have softies, lps, nems, and maybe some sps in the future.

final question is that it seems that the two lights dont have the same color that their giving off even though theyre supposed to be the same model(blue) and set tat the same intensity via the controller.

thanks in advance

Lighting schedule is preference really. I have a AI SOL BLUE on my bio cube 29. It's set at white 40% blue 60% royal 80%

It starts to ramp up slowly at 7am and at noon stays at the above until 4pm when it ramps back down, when it hits 5pm it starts another ramping down schedule and again at 7pm and then 8pm starts moonlight until 3am when I give everyone total darkness until 7am when it starts all over again.

As for your mounting I'm sorry I can't help. I have mine mounted in the hood of the BC29. Maybe call the company? I know a lot of people who go the DIY route.

So I went ahead and got the mounting kit. They are about 11&1/2" off the water.

image-3129320844.jpg

Now how much should I increase the intensity of the lights by? At peak they are at 35 45 60 for about 5-6 hours

I currently have 2 clowns and a gsp

Ok so I had my lights at 35 45 60 before I raised them up and the gap was loving it. After I raised them I brought the intensity up to 40 50 65 at peak( whic they are at peak lighting right now) and my gap hasn't opened up. Could this be because there's not enough intensity or because it's getting used to the lights. Keep in mind that I've only ha the gsp since Saturday and they only got used to te previous light for a day. So my miney is on not enough intensity.
What do u guys think?

Ok so I have 2 ai sol blue led fixtures over my 90g. I got my first coral( a gsp frag) on saturday, with my light 3" from the surface of the water with the lights at 35 45 60 of peak intensity and the gsp was loving it. Yesterday I raised y lights to about 12" from the surface and raised te intensity by 10% on each color for the peak, ( they are now at 50 55 70)and it hasn't opened at all today, there's only 2 small buds that have opened. So what do you guys think, r they getting acclimated to the new lights? But then why did they open up on Saturday and the early part of sunday? Or are my intensities wrong?

Please help

Gsp is really wierd. Odds are it will be open tomorrow for no reason and close the next day. This happened to mine and it closes randomly sometimes, just wait. Make sure the lights are not too high and the flow is strong....update tomorrow.

I'm gonna lower them by 5% down to 45 50 and 65 and see what happens. Because the to polyps that are open are actually on the underside of the mat so maybe tree is too much light? What would be a sign of too much light on the coral?

Antec said:
I'm gonna lower them by 5% down to 45 50 and 65 and see what happens. Because the to polyps that are open are actually on the underside of the mat so maybe tree is too much light? What would be a sign of too much light on the coral?

If it started to bleach out. I have the sol as well. I just took it slow with the increase. I liked going up 5% a week that way if it got to a point when the corals reacted bad I knew just to go back down five. The lights are awesome though

Hows my intensity now? Should I have waited a week after I moved my lights up to increase the intensity 5%? Seems Like I would need to raise the intensity if I raised the lights correct?

Antec said:
Hows my intensity now? Should I have waited a week after I moved my lights up to increase the intensity 5%? Seems Like I would need to raise the intensity if I raised the lights correct?

By looking at your first post you went up 15,10,10. Might have been a little high to fast for the coral. Yes i would have went up after you raised it but maybe try going down 5 each and see. The Sol are powerful lights. So it can be tuff to judge. I can only go on my experience so far and I am no expert lol. I personally think its easier to tell if they want more light than it is to tell I they are getting to much. Some corals like more light than others as well. I have a biocube and mounted mine into the hood so it's about 4-5 inches off the surface and I'm not quiet as high as yours and its been in for about three weeks. All the corals I have came from a lfs that uses all SOL as there lighting as well do they were more use to the light. I am at work till tomorrow but if you want I can post my settings in the morning.

Also is you gsp on the sand bed or up on some live rock

It's up on a rock about half way up on the tank. What do u mean by I raised te lights 15 10 10? And yeah that would be great if you could post your settings:)

Antec said:
It's up on a rock about half way up on the tank. What do u mean by I raised te lights 15 10 10? And yeah that would be great if you could post your settings:)

I was looking at your numbers you posted maybe I read it wrong. You could just move it down to the sand bed that way the lighting on it isn't so strong and leave your settings. After it is use to the light and if it can tolerate it move it back up. I start my corals on the sand bed while they adjust to the tank. I'll post them when I get home. I have 12 timers so I don't remember them all. I have a thread on my biocube if you wanna check it out. Towards the end I have some numbers. But I'll post what I am at now as well

Ok so today so far, about have of the gsp has opened and the lights are about half way through their peak hours. Here's a pic

image-3659559084.jpg

Hasn't opened up yet today. By this time yesterday half of it was open . Is it not getting enough light? I brought te light intensity back down to what it was before I raised the fixtures. There r a few little specs of black pieces on the mat, like if the mat were shedding

Should I increase the intensity of the lights guys?

Antec said:
Should I increase the intensity of the lights guys?

I would go up five percent on whites and ten on blues and see how it reacts.

Back
Top Bottom