Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

help with new ai sol blue lights

ok so i got my 2 ai sol blue modules for my 90g tank yesterday, and i bought them with the rail mouting system. theyre only about 3" from the waterling, any way to raise them up a little. I am having a spotlight effect and getting some dark corners.

next question is what is a good lighting scedule for them i want to have softies, lps, nems, and maybe some sps in the future.

final question is that it seems that the two lights dont have the same color that their giving off even though theyre supposed to be the same model(blue) and set tat the same intensity via the controller.

thanks in advance

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Freak

Anyone?

Old 07-23-2012, 10:46 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
ok so i got my 2 ai sol blue modules for my 90g tank yesterday, and i bought them with the rail mouting system. theyre only about 3" from the waterling, any way to raise them up a little. I am having a spotlight effect and getting some dark corners.

next question is what is a good lighting scedule for them i want to have softies, lps, nems, and maybe some sps in the future.

final question is that it seems that the two lights dont have the same color that their giving off even though theyre supposed to be the same model(blue) and set tat the same intensity via the controller.

thanks in advance
Lighting schedule is preference really. I have a AI SOL BLUE on my bio cube 29. It's set at white 40% blue 60% royal 80%

It starts to ramp up slowly at 7am and at noon stays at the above until 4pm when it ramps back down, when it hits 5pm it starts another ramping down schedule and again at 7pm and then 8pm starts moonlight until 3am when I give everyone total darkness until 7am when it starts all over again.

As for your mounting I'm sorry I can't help. I have mine mounted in the hood of the BC29. Maybe call the company? I know a lot of people who go the DIY route.

"When creating an aqua scape, strive for the beauty of imperfection, as its art and there is no wrong or right, it's left open for interpretation" James Findley
Convict2161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I went ahead and got the mounting kit. They are about 11&1/2" off the water.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3129320844.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	110936

Now how much should I increase the intensity of the lights by? At peak they are at 35 45 60 for about 5-6 hours

I currently have 2 clowns and a gsp
Old 08-06-2012, 12:38 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so I had my lights at 35 45 60 before I raised them up and the gap was loving it. After I raised them I brought the intensity up to 40 50 65 at peak( whic they are at peak lighting right now) and my gap hasn't opened up. Could this be because there's not enough intensity or because it's getting used to the lights. Keep in mind that I've only ha the gsp since Saturday and they only got used to te previous light for a day. So my miney is on not enough intensity.
What do u guys think?
Old 08-06-2012, 04:02 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok so I have 2 ai sol blue led fixtures over my 90g. I got my first coral( a gsp frag) on saturday, with my light 3" from the surface of the water with the lights at 35 45 60 of peak intensity and the gsp was loving it. Yesterday I raised y lights to about 12" from the surface and raised te intensity by 10% on each color for the peak, ( they are now at 50 55 70)and it hasn't opened at all today, there's only 2 small buds that have opened. So what do you guys think, r they getting acclimated to the new lights? But then why did they open up on Saturday and the early part of sunday? Or are my intensities wrong?

Please help
Old 08-06-2012, 04:04 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gsp is really wierd. Odds are it will be open tomorrow for no reason and close the next day. This happened to mine and it closes randomly sometimes, just wait. Make sure the lights are not too high and the flow is strong....update tomorrow.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:21 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm gonna lower them by 5% down to 45 50 and 65 and see what happens. Because the to polyps that are open are actually on the underside of the mat so maybe tree is too much light? What would be a sign of too much light on the coral?
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antec
I'm gonna lower them by 5% down to 45 50 and 65 and see what happens. Because the to polyps that are open are actually on the underside of the mat so maybe tree is too much light? What would be a sign of too much light on the coral?
If it started to bleach out. I have the sol as well. I just took it slow with the increase. I liked going up 5% a week that way if it got to a point when the corals reacted bad I knew just to go back down five. The lights are awesome though
Old 08-06-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Freak

Hows my intensity now? Should I have waited a week after I moved my lights up to increase the intensity 5%? Seems Like I would need to raise the intensity if I raised the lights correct?

Tags
blue, light, lights

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com