Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-29-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Help with new filter setup on 90gal

Hello,
I am setting up a 90 gallon for my two tiger oscars one is 3" the other is round 4˝" and 4" pleco. I bought a API Filstar xP3 canister filter for 175gal 350gph. It has three media compartments. What would be the best way to move them from the little 10gal they came in (they was a gift the person bought them as babies and had no idea bout them). The filter in the ten is a cheapo tetra whisper 10i. I am filling the tank today and need advice on the best way to cycle this BIG tank. Can I pour the carbon out the tetra filter and put just the filter part without carbon (the sleeve) with my bb in a media tray and if so what one? Sorry never hooked up a canister filter my biggest tank was a 29L.

keeping fish since january

Old 03-29-2013, 11:53 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shon View Post
Hello,
I am setting up a 90 gallon for my two tiger oscars one is 3" the other is round 4˝" and 4" pleco. I bought a API Filstar xP3 canister filter for 175gal 350gph. It has three media compartments. What would be the best way to move them from the little 10gal they came in (they was a gift the person bought them as babies and had no idea bout them). The filter in the ten is a cheapo tetra whisper 10i. I am filling the tank today and need advice on the best way to cycle this BIG tank. Can I pour the carbon out the tetra filter and put just the filter part without carbon (the sleeve) with my bb in a media tray and if so what one? Sorry never hooked up a canister filter my biggest tank was a 29L.

keeping fish since january
Hey Shon, yeah you could ditch the carbon. BB doesn't grow on it. Keep the filter part and any gunk from the old filter and put it in with the rings/noodles/balls tray. This should transfer BB to the new media. Leave it in there for a few weeks, it won't do any harm.
For your canister layout, this is how I do mine; from the bottom up,
1. Sponges-Course/Medium
2. Bio Media-Balls/Noodles/Rings
3. Filter Floss(polyfil), widely available from hobby/craft stores. Very cheap and very effective.
4. On top of the floss, a 100ml bag of Purigen.
With this set-up, you will have sparkling water!!
PS...Remember to keep up with the water tests on the new tank....

Old 03-29-2013, 11:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Sorry, meant to add. Remember to keep everything wet, with old tank water, when transferring anything from the old tank.....

Tags
filter, new filter, setup

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com