Help with Overflow vs return pump/About me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marks350z

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello, Names Mark, 24. I Breed scorpions for some years now and also love cars, tuner, antique, muscle. I'm currently working on a 2005 350z and have been tossing several big ideas for that project. I do a little bit of video gaming but i mostly like to keep active.

i have 2 55gallon fish tanks, im currently working on building my second tank into a saltwater tank with a 30gallon refugium. I've done fresh water my whole life, my current fresh water is live planted and doing great, i only do a 10gallon water change every3-4months and it holds its own crystal clear.
I have many questions on saltwater aplications, im very unsure about the refugium overflow boxes and return pumps. Im currently looking into a CPR series box but im uncertain about what return pump to get and how exactally the water level even out so that the main tank and refugium both dont fail and the levels stay the same. can anyone explain this concept to me? My live rock will be here this week, i want to build the tank into a Reef tank, so i have probably 20-30lbs of cured dead rock in the tank now and with the addition of the 50lb's of live stuff i believe it'lll all come back adventually, im running a coralife 48" 50/50 light with blue LEDs for night and a coral life 125gallon skimmer. I also have a UV with a power head on it but i want to move all equiptment to the 30gallon refugium when i get it all up and going. There will be live rock in the refugium and Cheato algea.
Should i run any other kind of filtration besides the refugium???
What CPR/return pump should i get!??
All help is greatly appriciated!

I'll be upgrading to a 125 gallon tank (55gallon will be the refugium) if i really like how this saltwater experience works out!

Thanks anyone for your help!:grin:
Marks350z@hotmail.com

Welcome to AA!

Basically, how a HOB overflow works is water is pumped into the tank from the sump. As the water is then pushed into the overflow, it drains back into the sump. The overflow will only drain as fast as the water is returned to the tank. If you have a power failure and the pump stops, the overflow will only drain about 1" of water from the tank and then stop (remember that water needs to be pushed by the pump into the overflow). When the power comes back on and the pump starts, the overflow will again start draining the water back into the sump. I used a HOB overflow for over 15 years and they are safe and reliable.

I'm not a big fan of the CPR style overflow since they also need a lift pump to help keep them from loosing their siphon from air accumulation. I used a u-tube style overflow and they don't need any additional pump to keep air from accumulating in the u-tube.
This overflow handles about 900 gph which is a good flow rate for a 55g. This Mag 9 pump (950 gph) or QuietOne 4000 (980 gph) would be a good match for the overflow.

What about power outages? does the utube lose its siphon? Also,i don't understand how exactly the siphon and return pump keep water levels equal with each other.?.?.? i don't know why my brain wont just let it be, but i cant figure out how this system works and its probably whats been keeping me from having the system 100% setup yet.
The only reason i was going to go with CPR is that it will re-prime itself in a power outage. i live in the country and we get a lot of little outages from storms etc... Can you suggest a CPR system and pump for that reason>?
:n00b:

Thanks, i read up on the pumps, good prices per gph compared to the ehiem's .. ARG..

No, the u-tube will not lose it's siphon during a power outage. I can't suggest anything with a CRP because I never used 1 and don't really trust them just because of the fact they need another piece of equipment as backup.

This might help show how a HOB overflow and sump works.
Melevsreef.com - What is a Sump?

Thanks for your help i'll go with the box and pump you suggested, i appreciate the help!!!

Back
Top Bottom