Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-15-2009, 04:06 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Help with Overflow/Water Level flow rate

Hey All,

I have a 90g Marineland Corner overflow tank. It has a 1" Drain/bulkhead, but the overflow tube is 1.5" and gets reduced as it goes into the bulkhead.

I recently upgreaded my sump from a Pro Clear Aquatics 125 Wet/Dry Sump to a custom built 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium.

I don't know that the sump makes any difference at all!? I also upgreaded my pump from a RIO 2100 (375gph @ 4' Head) to a Pan World 50PX-X (Aprox 720gph @ 4' Head).

The Rio 2100 had 3/4" Outlet and the PanWorld has 1" outlet. Don't know if that makes any difference? Just trying to give all possible information.

The problem I have is that I have to valve the pump back about 50% or it over powers the overflow and gurgles in the dump of the sump, which spashes all over. According to Marineland the overflow is rated for 700 GPH. So I should be able to have the pump running at almost full flow!

Also I have noticed that the water level in the tank is about 1/2" lower than it was with the old setup and the flow out of the discharge coming back into the tank seems to be considerably less than before. I have no way to test the flow other than by looks.

I would like to be able to open up my pump a bit more and get more flow into the tank, but it seems the overflow itself is maxed out.

Anyone have any input/info/suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

-TheChad

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 02:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to TheChad
Wow, 17 views and no help?

Someone has to have some insite on this.....

90 Gallon Drilled Glass Tank w/ Corner Overflow: 492w (2x 150w 14,000K MH, 2x 96w Actinic CF) Coralife Aqualight Pro | Custom 34x15x15 Sump/Refugium | SWC Skimmer | Coralife Turbo-Twist 6x UV Sterilizer | Maxi-Jet Power Head w/Sure Flow Upgrade Kit | 120lbs of Live Rock | 100lbs of Live Sand
TheChad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 08:21 AM   #3
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

It does look like they are rated the same. Are you sure of your numbers. Also it`s always slow on the weekends. Be patient someone that knows what`s going on will be by soon.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2009, 09:38 AM   #4
SW 20 & Over Club

Send a message via ICQ to ccCapt
I also have a Perfecto Cornerflo. It's a 125 with dual overflows, but the overflow should be the same as a 90....they are 1" overflows which can handle 600 gph max. I don't know how your water level can get any higher or lower. The overflow pretty much determines the water level. It can't get lower than the "teeth" of the overflow itself or no water gets to the sump and if it's going over the top of the overflow, you have too much flow and it can't keep up.

For the splashing in the sump, what I did was have my 1" drain line dump into a piece of 3" pvc with a bunch of holes drilled in the bottom. It works great.
Check out The build project
ccCapt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flow, flow rate, level, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com