Here's mine, show me yours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
Skimmate...of course.

This is exactly 7 days worth of....well, you can call it what you want, but it smells horrible. Skimmer is a modded Octo NW200.

skimmate1_8-08.jpg

skimmate2_8-08.jpg

skimmate3_8-08.jpg

Coffee anyone?
skimmate4_8-08.jpg

skimmate5_8-08.jpg

Do Not Touch!
skimmate6_8-08.jpg

skimmate7_8-08.jpg

Creamy...like Jiffy peanutbutter.
skimmate8_8-08.jpg

Off topic, I know... but am I going senile or did you just change your username? What - you didn't have enough c's in there to start with?

Kurt, it's you! It has been brought up an admin just needs to see the post.
That stuff looks nasty! How does it taste?

That stuff looks nasty! How does it taste?
I just finished supper when I took those pics, so I was full. I'll send you a peanutbutter sandwich and a cup of coffee. Tell us what you think.:)

...and thnx to the admin who fixed my name.

Actually... it kind of looks like vegemite. Probably tastes like it too.

(No offense to our Aussie members. I'm sure it's an acquired taste. Kind of like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!)

Well mine is only at 3 days now since I cleaned it dumped it mid-week. I'll probably get some pics later or take it off this weekend when I do a water change and monthly maintenance. I'll post then. That is some good skimmate though :D

LOL - peanut butter sandwich and coffee!

May I ask how you get rid of it? I used to have a yeast-based CO2 system and I'd dump the old yeast/sugar mix outside. The smell would linger in the sink if I dumped it out there.

That`s some great looking skimate Larry. And you say 1 week`s worth. Not too many DOC`s in that tank.

What do you do to mod those? I have the one that is one size smaller it is the Octo NW150 but it has the upgraded neck design. I have heard people say they mod the pump and make it a mesh instead of a needle wheel, but I have to clue what that means. Thanks.

LOL - peanut butter sandwich and coffee!
May I ask how you get rid of it?
The sump and skimmer is in the basement and I have a utility sink down there. I dump it down the sink, but it does stink up the basement.

That`s some great looking skimate Larry. And you say 1 week`s worth. Not too many DOC`s in that tank.
I do feed pretty heavy. Probably a little more than most do. But yes, that is what I get every week. I dump the cup and clean the cup and neck weekly.

What do you do to mod those? I have the one that is one size smaller it is the Octo NW150 but it has the upgraded neck design. I have heard people say they mod the pump and make it a mesh instead of a needle wheel, but I have to clue what that means. Thanks.
The impeller has 2 rows of needles. You cut off the top row and attach mesh. I first held the mesh in place with small zip ties, then secured it with fishing line. After it was secure I cut off the zip ties.
This allows the pump to pull more air.

I used mesh that I had from back when I originally used a wet/dry filter. The filter media was a 2 layer roll of black mesh and filter floss. (Maybe some old timers on here remember the stuff) You can buy mesh from Premium Aquatics.

There is a thread on RC that's been going for a couple years. It's huge. But here's where it shows a pic of the impeller.

Actually... it kind of looks like vegemite. Probably tastes like it too.

(No offense to our Aussie members. I'm sure it's an acquired taste. Kind of like Kraft Macaroni and Cheese!)

is that the same as marmite?

anyways, i was wondering, is a protein skimmer recommended for a freshwater tank? does it give any advantages?

is that the same as marmite?

You made me Google "marmite", and I actually learned something!

Yes... marmite appears to be the same as vegemite - the gunk left on the bottom of the casks after beer is done fermenting. Really high in Vitamin B and actually pretty darn good for you.

anyways, i was wondering, is a protein skimmer recommended for a freshwater tank? does it give any advantages?
And as cccccccccapt said, no... skimmers won't work in freshwater.

OK you asked for it so here's mine. First is about 3 days worth running the skimmer normally.
Then after cleaning my pumps yesterday and adding a mesh covered eggcrate section around my main pump intake I turned up the skimmer a bit. I really stirred up the sediment in the sump to the point I couldn't see inside my sump.
As you can see in the last pciture the cup was almost full today. That's less than 24 hours of wet, tea colored skimmate. Yummmy!

Attachments

• IMG_4881 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4881 (Large).jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_4886 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4886 (Large).jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 56
  • IMG_4888 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4888 (Large).jpg
    71 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_4896 (Large).jpg
    IMG_4896 (Large).jpg