Hey all you smarty pants people!!!! I need help :)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dizzydea

Aquarium Advice Freak
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409524506.089689.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409524525.759335.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1409524542.226958.jpg
Will this stand made of real wood ( I think) hold this 20 gallon tank? When full and with rocks it should weigh 240 pounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm not smarty but I do where pants.
I'd say NO. There is insufficient support beneath the shelf for that amount of weight.
Reenforced with enough 2x4s, this shelf unit *might* work. But I would not chance it.

That's a horrible idea... no

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

<---- He's a carpenter :)

I also stayed at holiday Inn last night. But seriously.. it may seen ok at first, it will warp and splish splash your life...

You could build a stand frame where the dvd's are out of 2x4's then I think it would work.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

How much do you like the stuff beneath the tank?
Unfortunately, that style stand is good for tanks 5 (?) gals and smaller. With anything bigger than a 5, you need the edges of the tank to be at the support not inside of it. In this case, you are depending on whatever is holding up that shelf to hold the entire weight of the filled tank. As previously stated, it will.....for a little while.... until it either breaks under the pressure or warps and causes a stress fracture of the glass. That could happen in a day, week, month..... who knows? Are you willing to chance it? ( BTW, your answer here should be NO! ;) )

On second though/glance.. if you have enough vhs lying around you could jack them to the floor and it may hold a 10 gal! Talk about re-purposing old Disney movies:)
Assuming that's solid pine, the shelf is sitting on a ledger which is probably at least nailed into the frame, I'd put 100 lbs on there, if you are dead set on tanking that shelf? Add another piece of 3/4 plywood on top of the shelf and drill and throw some 1 3/8" screws in that ledger underneath..
A smaller tank though, 10 gal max!

Last edited:
That looks like it would be a royal pain-in-da-butt to actually work on/in aside from the inevitable failure of the shelf.

That's what I figured I was hoping I was wrong but thanks for everyone's help!

Back
Top Bottom