Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2010, 10:53 PM   #1
sly
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HI Heat question

I owned a fishtank when i was younger and course i don`t have one anymore, anyways i live by my self now and i want to get a fish tank and start again. I do have one concern the main area i want the tank to be located is in my office where i spent 90% of my time in the house.

The room sometimes in summer gets very hot sometimes 100 deg i have windows open but the way the house faces i dont get much wind passing through so if i were to get a fishtank and have this would the fish suffer because of the heat, from my question at pet smart they said tropical fish should be okay but the tank would be need to be cooled.

Is there products i would get to make sure the tank stays at optimal temp or what can i do ?

Old 06-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

What's your monthly electric bill if you were to keep the a/c on such that you are at a comfortable 78-80 degrees? You could also get a small A/c unit that hangs out your window. If your electric bills however cost more than maybe 100 a month from A/c use alone I would go with an inline chiller.

Old 06-28-2010, 11:11 PM   #3
sly
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I can`t use A/C i get asthama
Old 06-29-2010, 12:13 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Fish won't servive 100 degree temp. Since you have asthama, the only other solution is a chiller. With a chiller you could set any temp that the tank needs with no effect on you.
PS: I live in a high eletricity area and my chilller cost me ~$5-$10 a month...
Old 07-14-2010, 10:13 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

The obvioius solution is to put your aquarium in the coolest part of the house, instead of buying an expensive chiller and running up your electric bill. Having an aquarium in an office is not a good idea - it would be distracting and take up space that should be used for business purposes. Also, the noise of an office would be stressful to the fish. Put the aquarium in the living room or someplace where you can relax and enjoy it, instead of having the tank become a distraction...not to mention an extra expense.
Old 07-14-2010, 03:27 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

To each his own. It seems a though this office is in your home. If you like the aquarium there to help you to relax once in a while and contemplate things then find the coolest spot there. If not a $300-$400 isn't bad.JMHO

Tags
eat, heat

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com