Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-14-2008, 03:07 PM   #11
AA Team Emeritus

I would calibrate monthly to be on the safe side. Calibration takes 5mins.

Old 03-14-2008, 04:18 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by land locked View Post
...There are digital ph monitors for as little as 9.99 but not sure about accuracy at that price. They are not the Pinpoint ones I see advertised in the fish magazines.
Seeing that pH meters from reputable manufacturers (Hanna, Milwaukee, Pinpoint, etc) start at $30 or so and go up from there, I'd really question the accuracy of a $10 no name unit.

Test kits are pretty cheap, accurate and don't need batteries or calibration.

[Edit: If you go electronic, just keep in mind that it can fail too - and probably in more ways than good ol' manual test kits. Putting too much trust in your electronics can lead to big problems. Just saw a post recently on another board from a person who was trying to figure out why their pH was dropping day after day. They were dosing trying to get it back up. But it was still going down. The short story is a cat chewed into the cable going from the pH probe to the monitor. Moral of story is always question "strange" readings and have the ability to test the old-fashioned way!]

Old 03-14-2008, 08:52 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
I'll go ahead and move this to the General Hardware/Equipment.
Land locked, don't sweat it, we were all new at one time.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 08:56 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Erm, doesn't the previous thread created answer the same questions: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ch-101243.html
Old 03-14-2008, 10:24 PM   #15
SW REEF 18+ YEARS
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award

Both threads were merged together.Please dont double post your threads in separate forums. This is the appropiate forum for this question. Not getting on you landlocked just trying to keep the forums looking neat. As Scott said we were all newbs at one time so dont sweat it.

SITE ADMINISTRATOR

You can view many of my fish and corals in my photo albums in my profile.

View my tank

AA Community Rules|AA TOS

Forums 101 - posting, accounts, basics
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the advice, I just purchased a refractometer. High is not my thing anyway I just wanted to make sure I was not missing out of the greatest thing ever
Old 03-18-2008, 04:04 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_Nelson View Post
Seeing that pH meters from reputable manufacturers (Hanna, Milwaukee, Pinpoint, etc) start at $30 or so and go up from there, I'd really question the accuracy of a $10 no name unit.

Test kits are pretty cheap, accurate and don't need batteries or calibration.

[Edit: If you go electronic, just keep in mind that it can fail too - and probably in more ways than good ol' manual test kits. Putting too much trust in your electronics can lead to big problems. Just saw a post recently on another board from a person who was trying to figure out why their pH was dropping day after day. They were dosing trying to get it back up. But it was still going down. The short story is a cat chewed into the cable going from the pH probe to the monitor. Moral of story is always question "strange" readings and have the ability to test the old-fashioned way!]
The failure you describe is not a result of the electronics involved but failure to maintain/check the equipment.

Mechanical methods are not fail safe nor error proof:

For example, someone could use the improper amount of fluids when running their test to get strange results. Someone could fail to clean their test tubes well enough. You could get different droplet sizes from your containers dependant upon pressure applied and/or velocity of ejection of the fluid (with a static nozzle size). Contamination of the sample could occur (whereby such contaminant concentrations in the test tube would be much higher than the concentrations in the aquarium).

You should question "strange" readings regardless of the method employed and always maintain and prepare your test equipment (whether electronic or mechanical/chemical in nature).
Old 03-18-2008, 04:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by patryuji View Post
The failure you describe is not a result of the electronics involved but failure to maintain/check the equipment.

Mechanical methods are not fail safe nor error proof:

For example, someone could use the improper amount of fluids when running their test to get strange results. Someone could fail to clean their test tubes well enough. You could get different droplet sizes from your containers dependant upon pressure applied and/or velocity of ejection of the fluid (with a static nozzle size). Contamination of the sample could occur (whereby such contaminant concentrations in the test tube would be much higher than the concentrations in the aquarium).

You should question "strange" readings regardless of the method employed and always maintain and prepare your test equipment (whether electronic or mechanical/chemical in nature).
Never said manual methods couldn't be buggered up too. I guess my point was that it just seems *most* people (not all!) don't even bat an eye as to what their electronic gizmos tell them. But I don't know of many people that put that same trust in a manual test tube result.

But you're right... no matter what the test method, "strange" results should be double checked.

Tags
high tech

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com