Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Hinged glass hoods

Was in the (not so local) fish store yesterday and they had some AquaQube aquariums with hinged glass hoods (literally just a hinge with a plain sheet of glass which sits over the tank) and a clip on light fitment, and they looked great!

I'd love to so something like that with my 18x10 guppy tank, but is there anywhere which would sell such a thing?

Here's the tank I'd like a decent hood for:

edit: I actually don't need it to be hinged really! Just something which would sit on the top perhaps with a little space at the front and back to allow air in (as well as the wires for the heater and filter!)

Old 11-04-2010, 09:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I have glass canopies on two of my tanks and I'm planning on putting one on my 40B that's cycling. I don't have any clip-on light fixtures, but I just rest the fixture on top of the glass. Google "glass canopy" or "Versa Top".

Old 11-04-2010, 09:51 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I also think that just the glass from the front of a photo frame would do the job, trouble is finding it in the right size!
Old 11-04-2010, 10:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

The trick is making sure the glass is thick enough. The glass canopies use 1/8" glass for small canopies and 3/16" glass for anything over 36" long. You can actually buy the hinge, handle, and plastic filler piece separately.
Old 11-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJim View Post
The trick is making sure the glass is thick enough. The glass canopies use 1/8" glass for small canopies and 3/16" glass for anything over 36" long. You can actually buy the hinge, handle, and plastic filler piece separately.
The tank is only 18"x10" so I don't need anything too fancy!
Old 11-13-2010, 12:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You can go to any glass shop and they can custom cut it for you for cheap. Shouldn't be more than $20. Then buy a small piano hinge from the hardware store and silicone it on.

You also might want to consider finding a solution for propping up your light fixture first though, unless you plan to have it sit directly on the glass. That light strip is not as wide as your tank so the mounting legs might look a bit funny.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:33 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Chizer if you buy it at a petstore it might be more expensive.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:36 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Marineland Perfecto Glass Canopies | Glass Canopies | Aquarium Stands & Canopies | Aquarium - ThatPetPlace.com try this website.
Old 11-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

tyr that pet place website it will give u an idea. if you have a petsmart or petco you can call
Old 11-13-2010, 01:07 PM   #10
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

here is just one of the many sites that have them...Perfecto Glass Aquarium Canopies [Glass Canopies] - $4.14 : Aqua Terras, Aquarium, Terrarium and Pond Supplies

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glass, hoods

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com