Hinged glass hoods

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Was in the (not so local) fish store yesterday and they had some AquaQube aquariums with hinged glass hoods (literally just a hinge with a plain sheet of glass which sits over the tank) and a clip on light fitment, and they looked great!

I'd love to so something like that with my 18x10 guppy tank, but is there anywhere which would sell such a thing?

Here's the tank I'd like a decent hood for:
5050592595_39e2809da1_m.jpg

edit: I actually don't need it to be hinged really! Just something which would sit on the top perhaps with a little space at the front and back to allow air in (as well as the wires for the heater and filter!)

I have glass canopies on two of my tanks and I'm planning on putting one on my 40B that's cycling. I don't have any clip-on light fixtures, but I just rest the fixture on top of the glass. Google "glass canopy" or "Versa Top".

The trick is making sure the glass is thick enough. The glass canopies use 1/8" glass for small canopies and 3/16" glass for anything over 36" long. You can actually buy the hinge, handle, and plastic filler piece separately.

The trick is making sure the glass is thick enough. The glass canopies use 1/8" glass for small canopies and 3/16" glass for anything over 36" long. You can actually buy the hinge, handle, and plastic filler piece separately.

The tank is only 18"x10" so I don't need anything too fancy!

You can go to any glass shop and they can custom cut it for you for cheap. Shouldn't be more than $20. Then buy a small piano hinge from the hardware store and silicone it on.

You also might want to consider finding a solution for propping up your light fixture first though, unless you plan to have it sit directly on the glass. That light strip is not as wide as your tank so the mounting legs might look a bit funny.

tyr that pet place website it will give u an idea. if you have a petsmart or petco you can call

Sorry I didn't mention, I'm in the UK so those US sites aren't much good to me, I don't fancy the chances of a glass hood making it all the way here undamaged!

Back
Top Bottom