HOB aqueon 50 ex tube in 20g long doesn't fit..what next

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ididapoopy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
title says it all

HOB aqueon 50 extension tube in my 20g long doesn't fit...it touches the bottom and i have a sand tank....what next?

i've read in so many places that this would be a good filter for my 20 gallon long and i didn't see where it said the extension piece would be too long.

right now the extension piece is off and i am cycling through w/ just the first tube w/ an open hole.

what can i do?

just to clarify. i'm taking about my intake tube w/o the second piece which has the slits to let water thorough

what's on there now is open on the bottom only (not on the sides) sucking water. and it's sized at aprox 1" circumference

just to clarify. i'm taking about my intake tube w/o the second piece which has the slits to let water thorough what's on there now is open on the bottom only (not on the sides) sucking water. and it's sized at aprox 1" circumference
cut it! Can you out up a picture?

cut it! Can you out up a picture?

i can't cut the 2nd intake piece w/ all the slits because in goes inside the 1st piece that's on. what i'm trying to say is half of it goes inside then it tapers out in size,where the slits are

...seeems like my only option would be to cut 1" off the bottom of it and then somehow attach that piece t othe first one...but there will prolly be a sizing issue..

can i just leave it like it is w/ a 1" round opening sucking up..or will my cory take a ride in the doom tube

If you shorten it, and there is no reason you shouldnt. Keep the bottom of the tube about 1/3 the way from the bottom of the tank so that you dont suck sand into the filter an have a chance to capture debris floating throughout the tank.

after i posted this did more research. seems like that's what i need to do. but i would just like to leave it the way it is. do any of you foresee a problem?
I'd atleast get a mesh sleeve over it, I think leaving the large opening is just inviting Trouble. I have 2 aqueons and I don't see why you can't cut either tubes down to serve your purpose?

I'd atleast get a mesh sleeve over it, I think leaving the large opening is just inviting Trouble. I have 2 aqueons and I don't see why you can't cut either tubes down to serve your purpose?

the intake tube is in 2 pieces..the 2nd piece is half pipe and half strainer. the strainer (aprox 6/8") and is the male ,,and it extends half way inside the 1st piece female to only show the strainer this is how it's held together...i don't see how it's possible to cut anything other than how i said..and i still don;t know if it will even work..especially if the pieces are the same size or very similar

Why not cut the bottom of the top pipe as in this pic?

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 61
+1 I am quite familiar with the setup, like I said I have two, if you take 1.5" off each than you will effectively gain another 2" of travel upwards.

ok..i see what your saying......and if i cut off too much of the first piece won;t the power get stronger?

ok..i see what your saying....but i don;t think i can cut the 2nd piece..and if i cut off too much of the first piece won;t the power get stronger?
it's cheap plastic, you can cut it;) if you have a utility knife, very carefully score around it, lightly a few times, than wiggle it until it turns white at the cut and starts to break away, carefully! I don't see it affecting the flow all that much, you could alway poke holes in the upper section to curb lower suction.

Back
Top Bottom