hob filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Makavelli02

Aquarium Advice Activist
what is the best hob filter i have purchesed a emporer 400 for my 75 gal tank (not even set up yet) and i thought of puchasing another filter to add to it should i get another emporer or somthing else.

I run 2 aquaclear 110's (each) on 2 of my 75's, and the 3rd 75 has 1 110 and several powerheads to help circulate the water. I also have aquaclear quickfilters with penguin powerhead sponges inside the housings on the powerheads to help collect debris and keep the duckweed from clogging the powerheads. I also have air-driven hydrosponge filters in all the tanks; they collect even more debris and help circulate/aerate the water.

I've used several HOB's... Used them until they broke actually... I only have canisters and AquaClears now. IMO, you can't beat an AquaClear filter.

Now I am no expert actually new to this hobby but just the design of the aquaclear seems bad water is injected in the middle of the basket so it seems that the lower filter media just gets what trickles down. Where the emperor water has to fo through the media and the bio wheel seems wonderful .

Some water may make it through the side of the basket, but most of it goes through the bottom in the ACs. The bottom sides of my sponges are usually the scummiest when I clean the filters.

I've used a Penguin filter before and I had to DIY a cartridge to keep it from clogging up weekly after a few months. When the Penguin clogged, most of the water ran down a little bypass chute straight back into the tank. The ACs hold easily 10x the filter media the Marineland filters do and they're much easier to customize. I only have to clean my ACs maybe once a month and I've been using some of the sponges for more than a year.

As most have stated,..aqua clear 110's,...easy to change the filters, and they work very well,...quiet too!

Back
Top Bottom