Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-06-2015, 07:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hob filter

I'm currently running a xpxl filstar canister on my 125 African cichlids tank... I think it has a 450 per gallon glow rate.... Water is crystal clear and parameters are great... I do a weekly 40/50 water change... My question is is am looking to add a hob filter for some flexibility on maint..... Which are the best and what size.... Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Old 04-06-2015, 09:46 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What size is your tank?

Old 04-06-2015, 09:53 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Hi Bmac1972:

For your setup an Aquaclear would probably be ideal. They have a large media chamber (for an HOB) and they don't use the "cartridge" model; you can customize media much more readily than in other HOBs with which I'm familiar. As with all HOBs there's a certain amount of bypass, but the Aquaclears have an intake flow control so that you can actually get good dwell time for the water in the media chamber. Their largest model is, I think, rated for 110g so you should have plenty of filtration if you ever have to take your Filstar offline.

My only complaint about the Aquaclears is that some of the ones I've owned have been a bit on the noisy side, but aside from that they've been very reliable and effective.

If you do go with an Aquaclear I'd recommend putting a sponge pre-filter on the intake, to prevent buildup of large particulate matter in the media chamber under the media basket.

-Yorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmac1972 View Post
I'm currently running a xpxl filstar canister on my 125 African cichlids tank... I think it has a 450 per gallon glow rate.... Water is crystal clear and parameters are great... I do a weekly 40/50 water change... My question is is am looking to add a hob filter for some flexibility on maint..... Which are the best and what size.... Thanks in advance...

Old 04-06-2015, 10:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

I run Marineland Penguin 350 Biowheels. I have two paired on my 55 cichlid/RES tank, and plan to run one on my new 65g hex that my wife is doing angels in. Rated at 350gph. There also make the Emperor 400 which is likely 400gph. I picked up my Penguins for $35 after tax at the evil petsmart.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

I second the vote for the AC110.. I have one on my 75G and love it. It runs along with a 5 stage canister filter. I just run the stock sponge in it and a large bag of bio-media.

Note: Should you forget to clean the sponge, it will remind you by pumping it up and raising the lid right off once it gets too plugged!!
Old 04-06-2015, 12:43 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc0528 View Post
I second the vote for the AC110.. I have one on my 75G and love it. It runs along with a 5 stage canister filter. I just run the stock sponge in it and a large bag of bio-media.

Note: Should you forget to clean the sponge, it will remind you by pumping it up and raising the lid right off once it gets too plugged!!

I have almost the same setup. Only I have a 3 stage canister. The AC110 is wonderful for stocking up on biomedia. Tons of space compared to MarineLand Penguins (I've had 2 penguins both have died at least once).

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
Old 04-06-2015, 01:24 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Oh.. 125g tank, I misread that. I vote for AC110 also.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:58 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for all the feedback!!!! I will check into all suggestions...

Old 04-06-2015, 06:09 PM   #9
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Drs Foster&Smith has a sale on most hob filters just got a penguin 350 was $23.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

After researching all suggestions I went with the ac110. I am very happy with it.... It is quiet and I like the way I could set up the media basket to my needs.. Thanks to all who responded !

Tags
filter, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com