Hob filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bmac1972

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently running a xpxl filstar canister on my 125 African cichlids tank... I think it has a 450 per gallon glow rate.... Water is crystal clear and parameters are great... I do a weekly 40/50 water change... My question is is am looking to add a hob filter for some flexibility on maint..... Which are the best and what size.... Thanks in advance...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hi Bmac1972:

For your setup an Aquaclear would probably be ideal. They have a large media chamber (for an HOB) and they don't use the "cartridge" model; you can customize media much more readily than in other HOBs with which I'm familiar. As with all HOBs there's a certain amount of bypass, but the Aquaclears have an intake flow control so that you can actually get good dwell time for the water in the media chamber. Their largest model is, I think, rated for 110g so you should have plenty of filtration if you ever have to take your Filstar offline.

My only complaint about the Aquaclears is that some of the ones I've owned have been a bit on the noisy side, but aside from that they've been very reliable and effective.

If you do go with an Aquaclear I'd recommend putting a sponge pre-filter on the intake, to prevent buildup of large particulate matter in the media chamber under the media basket.

-Yorg

I'm currently running a xpxl filstar canister on my 125 African cichlids tank... I think it has a 450 per gallon glow rate.... Water is crystal clear and parameters are great... I do a weekly 40/50 water change... My question is is am looking to add a hob filter for some flexibility on maint..... Which are the best and what size.... Thanks in advance...

I run Marineland Penguin 350 Biowheels. I have two paired on my 55 cichlid/RES tank, and plan to run one on my new 65g hex that my wife is doing angels in. Rated at 350gph. There also make the Emperor 400 which is likely 400gph. I picked up my Penguins for $35 after tax at the evil petsmart.

I second the vote for the AC110.. I have one on my 75G and love it. It runs along with a 5 stage canister filter. I just run the stock sponge in it and a large bag of bio-media.

Note: Should you forget to clean the sponge, it will remind you by pumping it up and raising the lid right off once it gets too plugged!! :p

I second the vote for the AC110.. I have one on my 75G and love it. It runs along with a 5 stage canister filter. I just run the stock sponge in it and a large bag of bio-media.

Note: Should you forget to clean the sponge, it will remind you by pumping it up and raising the lid right off once it gets too plugged!! :p

I have almost the same setup. Only I have a 3 stage canister. The AC110 is wonderful for stocking up on biomedia. Tons of space compared to MarineLand Penguins (I've had 2 penguins both have died at least once).

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Thanks for all the feedback!!!! I will check into all suggestions...

After researching all suggestions I went with the ac110. I am very happy with it.... It is quiet and I like the way I could set up the media basket to my needs.. Thanks to all who responded !

You are very lucky. I also got a new AC110 after I replied. And the **** thing is noisy. Something is rattling with the impeller. My AC500 is quiet though!

I read a couple reviews saying they were noisy but also many that said it was very quiet.... I guess I was a lucky one..... Did u try taking it back?.. I believe it comes with a two year warranty.... To much $$ to settle....

AC won't do anything about the impeller and suggest I install the impeller properly else talk with the store I bought it from. I had ordered it online so I'll have to contact them first.

This is crap service from Hagen group.

That stinks...hope u get satisfaction from someone.... Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom