HOB filter covered or open?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Has anybody given thought to how well a HOB filter works (such as oxygenation) when covered vs. uncovered? I'm thinking I would get more air from an uncovered HOB but by how much?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

I don't think the cover is going to have any real bearing on oxygenation... more so the distance of the the waterfall.. the lower the water level.or higher the plunge the more oxygen exchange...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I don't think the cover is going to have any real bearing on oxygenation... more so the distance of the the waterfall.. the lower the water level.or higher the plunge the more oxygen exchange...

Now that's a new one. That must be why AquaClears and Fluval C's make that annoying trickle sound and those hateful air bubbles unless you fill the tank up to the brim. I thought it was a design defect.

That being said, I keep both tanks as full as it takes to get zero air bubbles and "splashing noises." Since fish are healty, I'll just keep it that way.

Now that's a new one. That must be why AquaClears and Fluval C's make that annoying trickle sound and those hateful air bubbles unless you fill the tank up to the brim. I thought it was a design defect.

That being said, I keep both tanks as full as it takes to get zero air bubbles and "splashing noises." Since fish are healty, I'll just keep it that way.

I do too, I think it's more for situations when the temp is cranked up, ich treatment and what nots.. I like the ever so subtle sound of flowing water coming from my ac's..

I didn't think it would make a drastic difference as the cover has vents. I, however, don't like Aqua-Clear as they're a PITA to get running again after a power failure. It's a whole lot easier to let it gargle during a water change since the intake is up and away from sand. I'm phazing it out to a Top Fin 75 this week.

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom