HOB filter replacement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gimmethatfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi all -

I won a 120 gallon aquarium in a raffle (yay!) complete with filters - two Aqueon 75 gallon HOB filters. I know not the best, but they were free! I plan on putting my existing fish and filter from my 55 gallon tank into the new tank and also adding the small community I have in a 25 gallon tank all to the new 120 gallon. I'm also planning on getting 10-12 roseline sharks into the mix, which grow pretty big. The 55 gallon has a Rena Filstar XP3 canister.

I've been fishless cycling the Aqueon HOBs in a bucket in my basement to be sure I can keep up with the extra fish I'll be adding. One of the filters just stopped working last night. I took it apart, checked the impeller, etc. It was just in a 30 gallon tub of water, so it's not like any particles could have clogged it. I can't get it to work again.

I think I want to go ahead and replace both Aqueon filters. If one died for no reason, I feel like the chances are high the second one won't last long. My question for the experts: would you replace the dead filters with one or two more HOBs or should I get a second canister?

I really want to set this tank up on Friday because I have the day off work, and my daughter will be having a sleepover at my mom's. So I'll have a full 24 hours to do all of this without a 4 year old "helping" me. So I would like to either get something I can pick up at a store for a good price or order on Amazon today. Petsmart has Marineland filters on sale 50% off on Friday, so I was thinking of picking up either two Penguin 350s or two Emperors. Or would I be better off picking up a second canister and an HOB? Or should I scrap the Marineland idea altogether and get two Aquaclears? Or get just a second canister? So many decisions.

Or does anyone know of any better black Friday deals?

I'd run an aquaclear 110 with a cannister rated for 400 gph..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is it a 6 foot tank? If so yes, one can on either end and the ac dead center.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom