Hob filter to canister question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jhoussock

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just got a fish aquarium from a friend of my mine. 48 gallons with some great freshwater fish that they have had for over two years. I love everything about the setup except for one thing, the filter! It's a hang on the back whisper and it's so loud. The tank is located right outside our bedroom so it kept me up all night. Annnnyway bought an Ehiem 2217 a canister filter because it was said to be quiet and powerful. Now after reading I have scared myself with the whole bacteria stuff. I really don't want to run both as it's just too loud to deal with. What is the best way to seed the bacteria without the other one running? Can I utilize the inserts from the whisper in the canister? If so how? It has the white bag of charcoal and the wirey course sponge thing. Thanks in advance for any help.

Running both at the same time is the ideal thing to do , but if you can't , just stuff as much of the HOB filter stuff into the canister with what came with the canister and run it and test ammonia and nitrite daily for a few days . The canister should be big enough to take all the media from the Whisper . Let us know how it goes .

When you say the filter stuff am I cleaning it at all first or just sticking it in as is. Am I cutting the bag open with the charcoal or just cramming it all in there. Judging on how a filter works should I just put the sponges in and leave the bagged charcoal out?

Do NOT clean it! Just put it in the canister as is charcoal , bag , sponges and all . Good bacteria is on every surface of it all and you need that to seed the new filter . After a couple weeks you can take the old stuff out a piece at a time till it is all out . You need to check ammonia and nitrites to make sure you don't get a mini cycle , but I think you will be ok . Also don't add any livestock till the canister is working on it's own without the old media .
If you have to leave any of the new media out of the canister make it the new sponge . Put the bio media in , you can put the sponge in after all the old is out .

Ok sounds good except for one aspect. The tank is already fullly stocked with fish. Are the ones already in ok or am I supposed to take them out during this process. I do have strips and ammonia drops to test the water levels if that helps at all.

You can move everything over with out cleaning at all like mentioned. Carbon/charcoal will lose its effiacy and will end up being inert, but there may be BB on it and you don't really want to lose any of the BB.

You might be totally fine, or have a mini cycle and you can use Prime if you have a mini cycle and just do a few extra water changes. Keep on top of testing to make sure things are keeping well.

Also feed less to the fish, even feed 2x per day but tiny amounts just to make sure that there isn't left over food and too much fish pooping to cause an ammonia spike. If all parameters remain alright, then adjust and increase in the food incrementally till back to normal.

If you transfer over all of the old media, I would imagine your fish will be fine because you haven't lost any bacteria.

Another suggestion: it couldn't hurt to run a cycle of bacteria once the canister is set up. I use Seachem Stability but there are others out there

Back
Top Bottom