Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 07-16-2004, 02:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
HOB Filters

Most of my experience with filters has been with HOB power filters. I usually try to hide the intake as much as possible with plants (plastic, live plants are in the near future!). Doees hiding the intake like this restrict the filter in any way and make it less efficient? Or is the mulm usually small enough that this is not an issue and it will work its way to the intake? My thought is that as long as there is good circulation in the tank, this would probably not be an issue. But would like to know other people's opinions/experiences on this. Thanks.

bobtrop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2004, 10:53 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Yes, clever camouflage does indeed restrict the water movement in the tank, so a balance needs to be achieved.

I had really marvelous flow in my 55 with my Filstar XP3, but now my plants have overgrown so much so that you can definitely see how the flow is restricted. I am going to try to cut back the plants enough to improve the flow, but at the same time hide the filter intake. I have a large piece of driftwood placed vertically, but it has java fern that is now the size of a football, so something's gotta give!

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Send a message via MSN to jacktheknife
if you are really concerned about both your filtration and the tanks appearance, consider using an undergravel filter. you could completely conceal the tube leading from the hob to the ugf without hampering you filter's ability to do its job.
"You ask me why I dwell in the green mountain;
I smile and make no reply for my heart is free of care.
As the peach blossom which flows downstream and is gone into the unknown,
I have a world apart that is not among men."

-Li Po
jacktheknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 04:37 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
Send a message via MSN to gheitman Send a message via Yahoo to gheitman
Of course if you want the highest possible water flow to the filter intake you wouldn't have any decorations at all in the tank As TankGirl said above you have to strike a balance between efficient waterflow and what looks good to the eye. Look at your tank and see if there is any debris gathering in spots on the bottom. If so, you might want to rearrange your decorations. You might even consider adding a powerhead to increase water circulation.
Gene Heitman - 12 tanks (11 freshwater and 1 saltwater), 206 gallons, 20+ species of fish/shrimp/snails, 52+ species of plants ... 10 years ago I just wanted 1 tank with some fish
gheitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 09:58 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict
Ummm, how do you hookup a HOB to a UGF? I don't see how it'd possibly work.
Besides, UGF's aren't an option for planted tanks.
Former advisor and planted tank geek...life's moved on though.
malkore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 03:59 AM   #6
How about just using "woodier" plants around in the intake like H. difformis or many Echinodorus species. As long as the water flow doesn't suck in soft plants with fine leaves, I think it would be o.k
Old 02-01-2005, 07:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Undergravel canister filter

Originally Posted by malkore
Ummm, how do you hookup a HOB to a UGF? I don't see how it'd possibly work.
Besides, UGF's aren't an option for planted tanks.
I did this with a an H.O.T Magnum in my old 55 gallon freshwater angel tank. I stuck the inlet for the filter in the riser tube of the undergravel filter.

DaveBeaty is offline   Reply With Quote

filter, filters, hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com