HOB Filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bobtrop

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Most of my experience with filters has been with HOB power filters. I usually try to hide the intake as much as possible with plants (plastic, live plants are in the near future!). Doees hiding the intake like this restrict the filter in any way and make it less efficient? Or is the mulm usually small enough that this is not an issue and it will work its way to the intake? My thought is that as long as there is good circulation in the tank, this would probably not be an issue. But would like to know other people's opinions/experiences on this. Thanks.

Yes, clever camouflage does indeed restrict the water movement in the tank, so a balance needs to be achieved.

I had really marvelous flow in my 55 with my Filstar XP3, but now my plants have overgrown so much so that you can definitely see how the flow is restricted. I am going to try to cut back the plants enough to improve the flow, but at the same time hide the filter intake. I have a large piece of driftwood placed vertically, but it has java fern that is now the size of a football, so something's gotta give!

if you are really concerned about both your filtration and the tanks appearance, consider using an undergravel filter. you could completely conceal the tube leading from the hob to the ugf without hampering you filter's ability to do its job.

Of course if you want the highest possible water flow to the filter intake you wouldn't have any decorations at all in the tank :wink: As TankGirl said above you have to strike a balance between efficient waterflow and what looks good to the eye. Look at your tank and see if there is any debris gathering in spots on the bottom. If so, you might want to rearrange your decorations. You might even consider adding a powerhead to increase water circulation.

Ummm, how do you hookup a HOB to a UGF? I don't see how it'd possibly work.
Besides, UGF's aren't an option for planted tanks.

How about just using "woodier" plants around in the intake like H. difformis or many Echinodorus species. As long as the water flow doesn't suck in soft plants with fine leaves, I think it would be o.k

Undergravel canister filter

malkore said:
Ummm, how do you hookup a HOB to a UGF? I don't see how it'd possibly work.
Besides, UGF's aren't an option for planted tanks.

I did this with a an H.O.T Magnum in my old 55 gallon freshwater angel tank. I stuck the inlet for the filter in the riser tube of the undergravel filter.

Back
Top Bottom