Hob filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
See, and I get there without having to do all of that. Regular tank maintenance and filter floss. My ACs have floss instead of carbon or Purigen or any other "clarifying" agent. My Fluval canisters are the same. I have heavily planted tanks and some heavily stocked tanks, no clarity issues at all. No need for "clarifying" agents because I know how to keep up on my filters and my tanks.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f70/finally-new-pics-294439.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/40g-breeder-update-295938.html

These are just some of my tanks. Mind you, I've been down because I fell a few weeks ago so some of the tanks I'm having to regain control of as far as algae is concerned.

You've got some nice tanks there. Your aquascapes are exceptionally nice and show you put a lot of work into them,

And yes, I know that floss can do the job of polishing pads if it's done correctly and that you don't always need Purigen to get crystal clear water ..... especially with a planted tank. But remember, this is what I said in my original post:

There may be other ways to get there but the easiest sure fire way to get crystal clear polished water is with polishing pads - which come standard on Fluval C polyfiber inserts (although I use cut to fit 100 micron pad) and Seachem Purigen in lieu of carbon in the chemical chamber.

Wow, getting a little hot in here. The Thread was started to help a new hobbyist move along with his tank. Lets take it down a notch and try to voice our opinions without insulting others. It's all good and friendly here :flowers:

As you can see, water clarity can be a touchy subject, and not everyone will agree what the best method or equipment is. When in fact, all of these methods work, to some degree or another, and better for some than others.

Heated discussion aside, read the suggestions, try what you think will work best for you, and experiment. What's cool, is that this hobby is a science and an art. Everyone's tank, supplies, and environmental factors are different and you need to discover what works for you. That is, after all, what hobbies are all about.

I may be going out on a future piece of driftwood here(limb! See what I did there..) although I have only been a member in this forumn for a short while it seems as though any kind of unbiased bare bones discussions about hob's is next to impossible.. Why? Why can't people just discuss which ever filter they'd like without preachy diatribes about what's hot and what's not?! I rock 5 different brands of hob's and all my tanks look the same and test the same, imagine that.. All I'm saying is yes we know fluval c3's are awesome and purigen is the best.. Let's just try to keep it level here people. There is a thing called google and amazon with product reviews that tell it how it is.. The stars don't lie.. That is all;)

I use these brands for hobs

Aqua clear
Aqua tech
Aqueon
Tetra
Fluval
And top fin

Here us how I rank them i rank them on media capacity, and length if life,
and cost(I dont care about noise as they are use for my fishroom which the thread needs a update)

1. Aqua tech. These filters are cheap, the big ones have tons of media space, I've used one of the 30-60 on a 55 for four years never had a issue

2. Aqua clear. Huge media space, run for forever and a day, can get replacement parts. Only downside is the a little pricey, but well worth it.

Aqueon about the same as aqua tech, but don't last as long, and smaller media space

Fluval. I've not used much of there brands but so far I'm not impressed with them at all.

Tetra. Very noisy so... But you can adjust the flow rate, and the media storage is decent.

Top fin. Total crap, noisy, brakes quick, small media container.nuff said.

Fluval and Aquaclear are owned by the same company, Hagen. The company has recently rebranded the Aquaclear as Fluval.

So no more Hagen aqua clear? Now it's the fluval aqua clear? I hope they don't change anything, some other companies for different things (not fish) rebranded some products and the new company really screwed things up...

So no more Hagen aqua clear? Now it's the fluval aqua clear? I hope they don't change anything, some other companies for different things (not fish) rebranded some products and the new company really screwed things up...
i think they're the same thing, I have 2 of the fluvals ac's and they look exactly like the hagens I've seen..

I've seen the new packaging, although I haven't needed to buy any for a couple of years- it looks exactly the same as the old Aquaclear, I think they basically just stamped Fluval into the plastic lid. It's just rebranding, not a product overhaul.

Well, let's assume I was wrong about Purigen, fine. But that's what I thought I had read on the Seachem website. But I also said you can run a C series without it.

Lets not assume, let stick with the facts. Purigen is a great product, don't get me wrong, I much prefer it to carbon. That said however, its purpose is to remove and control nitrogenous products.

As for the link to blackwater tanks ........ for gosh sake ...... I assumed you had at least one and knew all about them. I put that in for anyone else who was reading the thread ... who, like me, might not know what a blackwater tank was.

Fair enough, since you were responding to my post, I assumed you included the link for my use. Blackwater tanks are accomplished by adding products that increase tannins in the tank, a substance that purigen removes, so if your goal is a blackwater tank (which certain fish appreciate), then crystal clear water is most definitely not a goal - that was by-the-way, the point of my original post. One has to know one's purpose in order to determine what will work best, aquarium keeping is not a one size fits all hobby.

Yes ....... as to the aquaclear basket being a mess ........ that is only my opinion. But I own both ....... do you?

No, I clearly stated that I do not - I simply said that if their performance is proven long term like the AC is, then I might have to consider getting one. A new product on the market is not proven long term. I've spent a lot of money on filters over the years and quite frankly many were not worth the money. I don't play that game anymore. I have a proven product that works, so I can sit back and see how things are doing in a few years, after that initial super high cost of the "biggest and best" new idea on the market comes down a little. I outgrew the need to acquire every new gimmick that hits the market a long time ago. That is what makes aquarium keeping expensive. Some people (not saying you) get so hung up on getting the newest gimmicks that they just have to have it - regardless of whether or not they do anything or even the same thing as something they already have.

The Fluval C has three separate chambers so it is easy to separate the media.
Each type of media in the Fluval C can be changed without messing with all the media AND can be changed without turning off the filter.

To service the AquaClear basket, you must shut off the filter ....... pull out the media basket as it drips all over the place ....... then try to get the different media stacked so that it is somewhat even. And trying to stuff floss in it is a mess. So that is my opinion. I can service a Fluval C series in a couple of minutes with zero mess. Servicing my aquaclear 50 is a major messy ordeal. And yes, that's only my opinion.

Well see, there you go. I see servicing my filter as something I do when I'm doing water changes, so my filter is already shut off. I use a nice big dish to transfer the filter media into immediately as I take it out of the filter and then I have a nice convenient place to rinse it out using nice clean RO water that I am adding back into my tank. Put it all back together in the dish, slip it back into the filter, complete my water change, dump the dish, and voila no fuss, no mess. Back together and running like a champ till next week when I do it again.

As to the bypass issue, you have it if your filter is unmodified. All those holes in the side cause water to bypass due to the law of physics that water follows the path of least resistance.

Here is the issue described along with a homemade cure (I used duct tape myself):

So let me share a little observation that I made just recently one of my aquaclear filters. My aquariums are in a classroom, and students are required to maintain the aquariums as part of their grade in my course ~ show me that they understand how to do it properly and all that. Recently one of the groups failed to clean their aquaclear filter for several weeks and water flow through (or around) the filter slowed to a mere trickle. In fact, it was such a mere trickle that what the students noticed is that their fish were struggling to breath. The reason being they were not getting enough oxygen because there wasn't enough flow. Now, if as you claim, there was this well documented severe issue of by pass occurring in these AquaClear filters as you claim, then an issue like that would never have occurred. Water would simply have been bypassing the clogged media and there would have been no issue with flow or oxygen supply. Guess what? As soon as we cleaned out the filter media and we got normal flow restored, the fish issue just sorted itself right out. Based on that observation and the reduced flow through the AquaClear filters that I've observed through the years, and the obvious improvement of flow that occurs as soon as you clean the filters, I'm gonna say that your opinion of a well documented severe issue probably is not the big issue that you keep trying to make it out to be, regardless of how many threads you link. The fact is, if I started linking threads on what a great filter the AquaClear is, I could very well be here all night long. There very well may be a little water that bypasses the media in the current set-up, quite frankly I've never seen one that stopped flowing completely. But I'm also willing to bet that if you let the filters on your Fluval C plug up that water will find its way through the filter as well, which means you got a little bypass issue of your own going on ;). So once again, I'm going to take my personal experience and observation of the functionality of the filter over your opinion.

AquaClear bypassing filter media - Equipment Forum - Nano-Reef.com Forums

That's why there is a specially made filter basket for Aquaclears by an aftermarket company that makes the filter work correctly.

AquaClear 70 Media Basket

No, the filter works correctly as it is built - there wouldn't be as many success stories about them as there are if they didn't. The specially built filter basket is a great gimmick produced by a aftermarket company that takes advantage of rhetoric like yours to sell an unneeded product for the almost the same cost as the entire filter to uninformed or misinformed people who don't know any better. Who spends $50 on a media basket to fix a $50 filter?

Have a great day !!!!!!!

My answers are in red within your post, you do the same ~ have a great day that is ;).

Wow, getting a little hot in here. The Thread was started to help a new hobbyist move along with his tank. Lets take it down a notch and try to voice our opinions without insulting others. It's all good and friendly here :flowers:

I don't see anyone insulting anyone? Paul and I are disagreeing on the subject of filters and the functionality of Purigen. I see differences of opinions being expressed and disagreement occurring. That is perfectly acceptable. People on this forum are free to disagree, so long as they can do so in a mature manner.

As you can see, water clarity can be a touchy subject, and not everyone will agree what the best method or equipment is. When in fact, all of these methods work, to some degree or another, and better for some than others.

Heated discussion aside (Good Lord, don't put the heated discussion aside, discussion is how we learn), read the suggestions, try what you think will work best for you, and experiment. What's cool, is that this hobby is a science and an art. Everyone's tank, supplies, and environmental factors are different and you need to discover what works for you. That is, after all, what hobbies are all about.

Other than that, well said.

I may be going out on a future piece of driftwood here(limb! See what I did there..) although I have only been a member in this forumn for a short while it seems as though any kind of unbiased bare bones discussions about hob's is next to impossible.. Why? Why can't people just discuss which ever filter they'd like without preachy diatribes about what's hot and what's not?! I rock 5 different brands of hob's and all my tanks look the same and test the same, imagine that.. All I'm saying is yes we know fluval c3's are awesome and purigen is the best.. Let's just try to keep it level here people. There is a thing called google and amazon with product reviews that tell it how it is.. The stars don't lie.. That is all;)

cute little metaphor-ism there Brookster :). I agree with you that people should be able to discuss what they like without all the preachy diatribes, however when people are avidly providing misinformation, that needs to be addressed. Opinions are all well and good and information is great, but the information being shared needs to be accurate. It would be pretty boring around here if everyone got their answers and opinions from google and amazon. Also, just so you know, product reviews lie all the time - big name companies often pay people to give their products five star reviews, the call it an advertising cost ;). Don't always believe what you read on Amazon or the internet for that matter. Take what people tell you and based on your own experiences, make your own decisions about what works and what doesn't.

Last edited:
Wow This is so wonderful to hear. I started this forum 2 nights ago and I've learned more then I could have in year of running these filters. Keep on discussing as I'm trying to decide the best filter type for my 15 gallon slightly overstocked aquarium. Currently I have a quite flow 10 (not impressed) and it's not cleaning my water. But yeah I've been looking at the marine land penguin and fluval c2, but after hearing so much about the ac filters I'll have to look at those too. Like I said before keep on discussing because it really is good for us younger hobbyists to read and learn about for you seasoned veterans ;).

A big negative for me about the Penguin filters are the proprietary cartridges. Of course, you don't have to replace the cartridges nearly as frequently as the manufacturer suggests, and you can DIY if you want to... but you can LITERALLY rinse the aquaclear sponges for years. I have some sponges still in use that have got to be pushing 10 years old. The aquaclear also includes a bag of ceramic media. This is very porous and provides lots of surface area for your bacteria to colonize. That's the purpose of the BioWheel in the Marineland filters, but I personally prefer ceramic media due to its durability.

If there is one thing you have probably learned from starting this thread, it's that people have a lot of opinions about how to do things in this hobby, and for the most part, they are just that... opinions. I'm an expert on nothing, I just happen to keep a lot of tanks, so I will gladly put myself into that category as well. :)

I agree, the bio wheel in my opinion just seems inferior to good old regular bio-media.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygua

I don't see anyone insulting anyone? Paul and I are disagreeing on the subject of filters and the functionality of Purigen. I see differences of opinions being expressed and disagreement occurring. That is perfectly acceptable. People on this forum are free to disagree, so long as they can do so in a mature manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygua

Heated discussion aside (Good Lord, don't put the heated discussion aside, discussion is how we learn), read the suggestions, try what you think will work best for you, and experiment. What's cool, is that this hobby is a science and an art. Everyone's tank, supplies, and environmental factors are different and you need to discover what works for you. That is, after all, what hobbies are all about.

Well, I guess I stepped in that one:oops:

Sorry to jump in, but now I feel I must defend my last post.

First, I just wanted to lighten up what was becoming a heated discussion.

I agree with you, discussion is how we learn. However, HEATED discussions are meant to belittle and insult the other person, as to halt the discussion as if your opinion is the only one. for example:
"(Good Lord, don't put the heated discussion aside, discussion is how we learn)"
"rhetoric like yours"
"Lets not assume, let stick with the facts."
then in your very next statement:
"...I assumed"

As I read it, it seems you feel your opinion and experience, are the only true facts here. As if someone else has a different opinion or experience they are factually wrong. We can all state our opinions without calling the others wrong and misleading.

For example, you may not have the problem with the bypass, but many others do, or there would not be so many threads about it. That does not make either of you wrong because your experiences are different.

Now, if I may put my two cents in, on the water bypass issue:

My experience as documented in my previous posted picture, is that I do get water bypassing the filter media. A picture is worth a thousand words. But here are several more to help explain the picture:
I use floss material to cover the side of the basket to filter the bypass water. If you look at the picture, the filter material is brown in the intake side, because water is flowing from the intake side over to the discharge side.
Why? There is a little hole in the bottom of the intake side and the filter basket has holes in its side; so when the intake tube is moved to reduce the flow rate, water can recirculate into the pump to keep it from drying out. When the tube is set to maximum flow, the path of least resistance for some water is through the hole, and that discharges out, bypassing the filter. If you look at the picture, the water level on the intake side is higher than the discharge side. That water flows over top of basket and takes the unfiltered particles with it. Yes, eventually, if the filter is the right side, it will do a good job and filter all of the water. However, If you cover the side, of the basket, it will clear the water much faster.

So, yes these are great filters with no modification, but are better with modification.

I apologize to all for the previous post, please don't let it stop any one from contributing, we're here to help and get help.

Well while I have all you still here I would like to hear one last thing. Give me a list of pros and cons of your current filters. And give them all, don't hold back. Thx

And see again, I have no problems with the water bypassing in my ACs. I clean them when I clean the tanks that they're on, one is weekly, the rest are bi-weekly.

Well while I have all you still here I would like to hear one last thing. Give me a list of pros and cons of your current filters. And give them all, don't hold back. Thx

Fluval canisters:
pro: everything
con: too heavy for me, I have to have my husband carry them for me to clean them.

AC HOBs:
pro: everything
con: nothing

various cheap HOB filters:
pro: they're working
con: they aren't ACs

I had a Top Fin on my 10 Gal, that did a good job, there was enough room that I could add a little more floss material, and bio-material. never had a problem with the pump, it was quiet, and cycled the water well. the down side was that it was limited to few filter options. I used the Tetra Whisper bio-bags si I could customize my fill.

When I moved up to the twenty, I wanted more flexibility and the Aquaclear did that for me. Very flexible filter basket, quiet, flow rate adjustable. good flow rate. easy to clean and maintain. The only cons I would give as stated before, I experience the bypass issue, and I'm not thrilled about how the flow rate adjusts by sliding the intake tube off the intake port. but those are really minor cons.

The only thing I would add, is that in most cases, you don't have to replace the mechanical and Bio media as often as the product suggests. A good shake and squeeze in the old tank water when doing a water change takes care of the nasties, and leaves the good bio mass that you need.

Back
Top Bottom