Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-13-2014, 08:27 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Freak

Wow This is so wonderful to hear. I started this forum 2 nights ago and I've learned more then I could have in year of running these filters. Keep on discussing as I'm trying to decide the best filter type for my 15 gallon slightly overstocked aquarium. Currently I have a quite flow 10 (not impressed) and it's not cleaning my water. But yeah I've been looking at the marine land penguin and fluval c2, but after hearing so much about the ac filters I'll have to look at those too. Like I said before keep on discussing because it really is good for us younger hobbyists to read and learn about for you seasoned veterans .

Old 03-13-2014, 08:36 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Addict

A big negative for me about the Penguin filters are the proprietary cartridges. Of course, you don't have to replace the cartridges nearly as frequently as the manufacturer suggests, and you can DIY if you want to... but you can LITERALLY rinse the aquaclear sponges for years. I have some sponges still in use that have got to be pushing 10 years old. The aquaclear also includes a bag of ceramic media. This is very porous and provides lots of surface area for your bacteria to colonize. That's the purpose of the BioWheel in the Marineland filters, but I personally prefer ceramic media due to its durability.

If there is one thing you have probably learned from starting this thread, it's that people have a lot of opinions about how to do things in this hobby, and for the most part, they are just that... opinions. I'm an expert on nothing, I just happen to keep a lot of tanks, so I will gladly put myself into that category as well.

severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree, the bio wheel in my opinion just seems inferior to good old regular bio-media.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:13 PM   #54
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wy Renegade View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygua
Wow, getting a little hot in here. The Thread was started to help a new hobbyist move along with his tank. Lets take it down a notch and try to voice our opinions without insulting others. It's all good and friendly here

I don't see anyone insulting anyone? Paul and I are disagreeing on the subject of filters and the functionality of Purigen. I see differences of opinions being expressed and disagreement occurring. That is perfectly acceptable. People on this forum are free to disagree, so long as they can do so in a mature manner.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygua
As you can see, water clarity can be a touchy subject, and not everyone will agree what the best method or equipment is. When in fact, all of these methods work, to some degree or another, and better for some than others.

Heated discussion aside (Good Lord, don't put the heated discussion aside, discussion is how we learn), read the suggestions, try what you think will work best for you, and experiment. What's cool, is that this hobby is a science and an art. Everyone's tank, supplies, and environmental factors are different and you need to discover what works for you. That is, after all, what hobbies are all about.
Well, I guess I stepped in that one

Sorry to jump in, but now I feel I must defend my last post.

First, I just wanted to lighten up what was becoming a heated discussion.

I agree with you, discussion is how we learn. However, HEATED discussions are meant to belittle and insult the other person, as to halt the discussion as if your opinion is the only one. for example:
"(Good Lord, don't put the heated discussion aside, discussion is how we learn)"
"rhetoric like yours"
"Lets not assume, let stick with the facts."
then in your very next statement:
"...I assumed"

As I read it, it seems you feel your opinion and experience, are the only true facts here. As if someone else has a different opinion or experience they are factually wrong. We can all state our opinions without calling the others wrong and misleading.

For example, you may not have the problem with the bypass, but many others do, or there would not be so many threads about it. That does not make either of you wrong because your experiences are different.

Now, if I may put my two cents in, on the water bypass issue:

My experience as documented in my previous posted picture, is that I do get water bypassing the filter media. A picture is worth a thousand words. But here are several more to help explain the picture:
I use floss material to cover the side of the basket to filter the bypass water. If you look at the picture, the filter material is brown in the intake side, because water is flowing from the intake side over to the discharge side.
Why? There is a little hole in the bottom of the intake side and the filter basket has holes in its side; so when the intake tube is moved to reduce the flow rate, water can recirculate into the pump to keep it from drying out. When the tube is set to maximum flow, the path of least resistance for some water is through the hole, and that discharges out, bypassing the filter. If you look at the picture, the water level on the intake side is higher than the discharge side. That water flows over top of basket and takes the unfiltered particles with it. Yes, eventually, if the filter is the right side, it will do a good job and filter all of the water. However, If you cover the side, of the basket, it will clear the water much faster.

So, yes these are great filters with no modification, but are better with modification.

Old 03-13-2014, 11:13 PM   #55

I apologize to all for the previous post, please don't let it stop any one from contributing, we're here to help and get help.
Old 03-13-2014, 11:42 PM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well while I have all you still here I would like to hear one last thing. Give me a list of pros and cons of your current filters. And give them all, don't hold back. Thx
Old 03-13-2014, 11:52 PM   #57
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

And see again, I have no problems with the water bypassing in my ACs. I clean them when I clean the tanks that they're on, one is weekly, the rest are bi-weekly.

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:55 PM   #58
Great white snark

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by machotaco View Post
Well while I have all you still here I would like to hear one last thing. Give me a list of pros and cons of your current filters. And give them all, don't hold back. Thx
Fluval canisters:
pro: everything
con: too heavy for me, I have to have my husband carry them for me to clean them.

AC HOBs:
pro: everything
con: nothing

various cheap HOB filters:
pro: they're working
con: they aren't ACs

AA ToS
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/misc.php?do=sknetwork&page=tos
DragonFish71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 11:56 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Freak

Haha nice reviews thx
Old 03-14-2014, 12:52 AM   #60

I had a Top Fin on my 10 Gal, that did a good job, there was enough room that I could add a little more floss material, and bio-material. never had a problem with the pump, it was quiet, and cycled the water well. the down side was that it was limited to few filter options. I used the Tetra Whisper bio-bags si I could customize my fill.

When I moved up to the twenty, I wanted more flexibility and the Aquaclear did that for me. Very flexible filter basket, quiet, flow rate adjustable. good flow rate. easy to clean and maintain. The only cons I would give as stated before, I experience the bypass issue, and I'm not thrilled about how the flow rate adjusts by sliding the intake tube off the intake port. but those are really minor cons.

The only thing I would add, is that in most cases, you don't have to replace the mechanical and Bio media as often as the product suggests. A good shake and squeeze in the old tank water when doing a water change takes care of the nasties, and leaves the good bio mass that you need.

Tags
filter, filters, hob, hob filter

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com