Hob filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, I guess I stepped in that one:oops:

Sorry to jump in, but now I feel I must defend my last post.

First, I just wanted to lighten up what was becoming a heated discussion.

I agree with you, discussion is how we learn. However, HEATED discussions are meant to belittle and insult the other person, as to halt the discussion as if your opinion is the only one. for example:
"(Good Lord, don't put the heated discussion aside, discussion is how we learn)"
"rhetoric like yours"
"Lets not assume, let stick with the facts."
then in your very next statement:
"...I assumed"

As I read it, it seems you feel your opinion and experience, are the only true facts here. As if someone else has a different opinion or experience they are factually wrong. We can all state our opinions without calling the others wrong and misleading.

For example, you may not have the problem with the bypass, but many others do, or there would not be so many threads about it. That does not make either of you wrong because your experiences are different.

Now, if I may put my two cents in, on the water bypass issue:

My experience as documented in my previous posted picture, is that I do get water bypassing the filter media. A picture is worth a thousand words. But here are several more to help explain the picture:
I use floss material to cover the side of the basket to filter the bypass water. If you look at the picture, the filter material is brown in the intake side, because water is flowing from the intake side over to the discharge side.
Why? There is a little hole in the bottom of the intake side and the filter basket has holes in its side; so when the intake tube is moved to reduce the flow rate, water can recirculate into the pump to keep it from drying out. When the tube is set to maximum flow, the path of least resistance for some water is through the hole, and that discharges out, bypassing the filter. If you look at the picture, the water level on the intake side is higher than the discharge side. That water flows over top of basket and takes the unfiltered particles with it. Yes, eventually, if the filter is the right side, it will do a good job and filter all of the water. However, If you cover the side, of the basket, it will clear the water much faster.

So, yes these are great filters with no modification, but are better with modification.

I'm sorry you read it that way - I stated a number of times in both posts that there are multiple ways to do things and still end up with the same results. If you look closely at my posts, the only thing that I indicated was incorrect and not opinion was in regards to the removal of nitrogenous products by Purigen. That statement was factually incorrect and I pointed that out. Beyond that the things I posted were clearly based on my opinion and my personal experiences, and I never once used the word fact in stating any of them. I'm sorry if you don't like to see people who are stating things incorrectly corrected, but I like to see accurate information presented.

My personal experiences/opinions in regards to filters, for what its worth;

Aqueon and Whisper HOB are cheap filters and within a year typically either start leaking around the pump at the base of the filter or the impeller freezes up. IME, not worth the money.

AquaClear great filter, I have had a single issue with noise from the impeller on one filter after cleaning the impeller. Love the freedom and versatility of the media basket to be able to add or subtract desired filtration materials.

Canisters, generally the only ones I use are the smaller ZooMed ones and I've had very good luck with them on smaller tanks. They are small, easy to clean, and withstand a lot of abuse. I usually add ceramic media. I've had larger versions of other types and I just dislike them. Many have to be set-up just so in order to properly get water flow or properly filter. I find them absolutely disgusting to open up and clean out. I did run a canister on a saltwater system one time, removed all the media and filled it full of LR rubble and assorted sponges. Worked great, had all kinds of spinod (sp.) worms and sponges in the filter - but was absolutely disgusting when it was time to clean it out as all the nasty debris was trapped in the canister.

I got around to taking some better pictures with a good camera of my tank. Here is what the AC 30 does for me:
88710-albums13700-picture65935.jpg

Here is looking through the length of the tank:
88710-albums13700-picture65939.jpg

Here's a shot with my iPhone 4 through a 10 and a 29, notice the target bottle if excel at the end! image-2197467580.jpg
Guess what filters I use?? I also do my wc Tom on these tanks.. That's a week of water..

Attachments

• image-2882790316.jpg
    image-2882790316.jpg
    119.6 KB · Views: 80
Here's a shot with my iPhone 4 through a 10 and a 29, notice the target bottle if excel at the end! View attachment 228239
Guess what filters I use?? I also do my wc Tom on these tanks.. That's a week of water..

Nice!

From looking at the bottom picture, it looks like you have a bio-wheel and an Aqueon in the larger; and in the smaller it looks like an Aqueon and an AquaClear. (did I get it right?)

Those Aqueons don't seem too bad, don't know about longevity. but they have a little room to improve the biomass and extra filter material, the flow rate is good for size and price. Just not a fan of the pre-made filters.

If they are Aqueons, what is your experience with them?

Last edited:
I have a quiet flow ten and it's not a bad filter, it's just not a good one. It doesn't have any bio media. It's pro is how super quiet it is. U can even hear it unless your water level it low.

I've seen the new packaging, although I haven't needed to buy any for a couple of years- it looks exactly the same as the old Aquaclear, I think they basically just stamped Fluval into the plastic lid. It's just rebranding, not a product overhaul.

I know this is going back a few posts, but I wanted to see if there was any differences between the two branded Aquaclears. I don't own the Aquaclear branded filter. I have the Fluval Branded Aquclear. From what it looks like,as far a build, they are the same.

It is really interesting, because the Fluval site does not even mention the Aquaclear, only the C series. But my box says Formally Aquaclear 30. So I am wondering if they are going to keep both Branded names. Some companies do this if they have territory agreements with their dealers. They create two brand names or two model numbers for the same product to get around the agreement, or they sell one to the small local dealer, and the other to the large chain stores so price matching doesn't become an issue.

I have a quiet flow ten and it's not a bad filter, it's just not a good one. It doesn't have any bio media. It's pro is how super quiet it is. U can even hear it unless your water level it low.

The plastic frame is supposed to be the bio media, I would think, you would need a lot more surface space with plastic. It looks like you should be able to get some bio-material and fit it between the frame and filter.

Nice! From looking at the bottom picture, it looks like you have a bio-wheel and an Aqueon in the larger; and in the smaller it looks like an Aqueon and an AquaClear. (did I get it right?) Those Aqueons don't seem too bad, don't know about longevity. but they have a little room to improve the biomass and extra filter material, the flow rate is good for size and price. Just not a fan of the pre-made filters. If they are Aqueons, what is your experience with them?
not bad tony! You were spot on except the aquaclear is a tetra whisper(crappy package deal filter) which actually works fine, I've ditched any kind if premade media offered by the corporate fat cats and use the blue cut to fit stuff and sponges, I have to clean everything a lot more to keep things flowing. If only I knew then(starring at price tags on filters) what I know now(aquacleaaaarrrrrrrr is the bestest)

So guys the verdict is in, I'm getting an aquaclear 20. Now I'm new to planted tanks but I have heard that I don't need carbon if I have a lot of plants. If anyone can confirm this or bust the myth let me know thx.

I don't use carbon and I have about 50 tanks running. Some people like to use it. It's really up to you.

So guys the verdict is in, I'm getting an aquaclear 20. Now I'm new to planted tanks but I have heard that I don't need carbon if I have a lot of plants. If anyone can confirm this or bust the myth let me know thx.

I don't remember if you mentioned what size tank you are using this on. I would recommend going with the AC30, for the little bit more in price you will get better flow rate and a larger basket for materials both equal faster cleaning and longer times between changes.

I'm am in now way an expert when it comes to plants, but I don't think there is a connection between plants and carbon. as I understand it Plants will remove nitrates(y), CO2, and other minerals most of which carbon does not filter. Carbon will be good for heavy metals (lead, copper, zink etc), chlorine and the like (hopefully the last was already neutralized before being added to the tank)
The good thing about Plants is that they use up the nutrients that algae would normally consume. I have trouble growing plants in my tank because the goldfish love to pull them up.

I own a 15 gallon tall, you recommend the ac 30 though. Ok bigger the better right?!

Back
Top Bottom