Hob filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys, just looking at some filters and I've become torn between two, the fluval c2 (119 gallons per hour) and the marineland penguin 150 (150 gallons per hour) if anyone has had an experience with either of these plz let me know all about it. Thx

Hands down go with the fluval. Much better quality had has 5 stages of filtration. I have the fluval C4's on my two 55's. May I ask what size tank is this for?

I'd probably go with the Aquaclear 30 (150 gph) over either one... it's cheaper than the Fluval C's and much better quality than the Penguins. I'm not a big fan of Penguins, honestly... Emperors last forever (though they are LOUD), but the longevity is just not there for the Penguins in my experience.

There is a lot of opinions on this site about hob's. It's worth doing a search and reading up. I think you will find the majority are Fluval fans. They convinced me to get the Fluval AC30. With some slight adjustments it is a great filter. I don't have experience with the c series, but heard great things about it.

I made a few alterations with filter media and my water is crystal clear. So +1 for Fluval.

I have 2 penguin 200's in my 55 gallon and I like them. I dont think they are loud. My mod that I did was put pothos plants in my filter so they can use up my nitrates so then grow my plants out of my hob.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sure I just did this mod last week so they haven't grown too much

Here it is. Just did it last week. I wanna get these trained so they will fill this corner wall up with plants. And this will help keep my nitrates down as well when they really start to take off

Attachments

• 1394678999344.jpg
    1394678999344.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 159
Also I bought these filters during black friday they were half off. I only paid $16 bucks for each one. That was a no brainer for me because all I need is mechanical filtration and biological. I rubber banded super fine filter floss to the back of the filter cartridge for a polisher. And it does a great job. If these ever go on me. I'm gonna buy a sunsun canister filter. Name brand I've don't care about.

Also I bought these filters during black friday they were half off. I only paid $16 bucks for each one. That was a no brainer for me because all I need is mechanical filtration and biological. I rubber banded super fine filter floss to the back of the filter cartridge for a polisher. And it does a great job. If these ever go on me. I'm gonna buy a sunsun canister filter.

Yeah I heard only a few can have submerged roots. The two I know of was pothos plants and wondering Jews, and lucky bamboos. I did a Google search and home depot had these so i went with them

There is a lot of opinions on this site about hob's. It's worth doing a search and reading up. I think you will find the majority are Fluval fans. They convinced me to get the Fluval AC30. With some slight adjustments it is a great filter. I don't have experience with the c series, but heard great things about it.

I made a few alterations with filter media and my water is crystal clear. So +1 for Fluval.

Actually, the majority are aquaclear fans, as aquaclear has only recently re-branded as Fluval (same parent company, Hagen). I have some aquaclear filters that are over 10 years old.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Here is an older picture of the filter from the top. The big change is I added the filter floss media to the exposed side of the basket to make sure all the water at least gets particle filtered. if you look at the intake chamber there is a small hole at the bottom that will allow water to come up and by pas the filter. This has a few necessary purposes to help maintain the pump but unfilterd it will dump particles back into the tank. I now push a little more filter material down in that cavity to add a little resistance so more water is pushed through the filter media.
some people plug that hole, but it is there for a purpose so just add a little filter media in there.

This is how I stack my basket, bottom to top:
1) Fluval Sponge
2) Tetra Whisper Bio-Bag (empty) I buy the 12 pack Medium Unassemled
this fits a little big in the basket, I fold the ends over the side of the sponge
it makes a nice seal in the housing
3) Tetra Bio-Bag filled with charcoal and/or Marineland Diamond Blend
filled about 2/3 full bulging - enough to shape the filter to fit the basket,
fold the end over to close the filter
4) 2 bags of biomax insert - this gives me enough bio mass to control the ammonia.

Some will argue about the necessity of charcoal and ammo chips. This is a personal choice for me I feel it helps keep the water clean and fresh smelling.

The big difference is the Bio-Bag (floss material) this helps filter out the fine particles. I tried some thicker "polishing material" but it cut the flow down too much for my taste. The bio-bags seem to do a great job. I use a cut piece of bio bag for the side of the basket.

Attachments

• IMG_0299.jpg
    IMG_0299.jpg
    253.8 KB · Views: 145
I'm quite new to the hobby, can u explain what an aqua clear fan is? And only plants with submerged root, got it

In a cycled tank, ammonia neutralizing media is totally unnecessary. In a cycling tank where you do enough water changes, it's also unnecessary.

Basically, proper husbandry renders this product useless.

Aquaclear fan= a person who uses and likes Aquaclear brand filters. They have apparently been re-branded now.

Here it is. Just did it last week. I wanna get these trained so they will fill this corner wall up with plants. And this will help keep my nitrates down as well when they really start to take off

wow cool Idea!

Actually, the majority are aquaclear fans, as aquaclear has only recently re-branded as Fluval (same parent company, Hagen). I have some aquaclear filters that are over 10 years old.

I agree, and stand corrected. most here are AquaClear fans, that I associated with the new brand name. mine does a great job.

Back
Top Bottom