Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 06-28-2004, 11:19 AM   #11
AA Team Emeritus
Right now I am using one of those old-fashioned box filters - the plastic box that you run with an air stone and filter floss. I have a small amount of ceramic noodles that go in there too, to assist with bacterial colonization and they are very easy to sterilize. I would use a Penguin 125, too, just a bit harder to clean it completely, as dhs mentioned. To me, the benefits of quarrantine are so great (there is a lot to lose if you don't) that whatever means you can use to have a Q-tank can be made to work effectively.

dhs9831- It might be wrong that I did it, but I downloaded an image of Tank Girl from the comic website (the comic is no longer being made) and drew in my own tank and net that she is holding. In the original it was a baseball bat. She was also smoking a cigarette and I erased that, too I used a program that came with my computer, don't even remember which one, but it was nothing fancy like Photoshop.

TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:23 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok. Thanks all. I appreciate the advice as always

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 12:10 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist
Send a message via AIM to dhs9831 Send a message via Yahoo to dhs9831
Ahh TG you are so bad, Im telling on you right now.... (Just kidding of course) I wont tell... by the way.... I just spoke with a friend from the LFS and asked him what he thought about the whole issue at hand. He said what he has reccommended to some in the past, is if it is a HOB, take it apart and wash it thourghly, exluding the electrical attachment of course, and fill an unused QT with water and bleach solution, after it is washed and disinfected as well, then add a fungus, parasite, and ick medication... drop the whole filter unit, minus the electrical pump attachment, in the water and completely submerge it for a couple days. then take it out and rinse well. After it has dried, swab the inside and out with Isopropyl alcohol, and let it dry for a couple days. Then swab the inside of the pump attachment with the alcohol. It wont harm fish since the alcohol will completely evaporate in a matter of minutes. Then rinse again, and your good to go. I know it sounds like alot just to change the tank you use it in, but I think it is the safest route to go aside from not using it on the main tank at all. Id like to hear opinions from other Aquarium vets about this method...

Good Luck

Dream as if you will live forever, Live as if you will die tommorrow.
dhs9831 is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com