Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-28-2004, 12:42 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

HOB for QT

I was thinking about buying a Penguin 125 for a QT filter. When I didn't need the QT tank, I could add it to my main tank for a little extra filtration. Does this make sense or are sponge filters really the way to go for QT?

Old 06-28-2004, 04:37 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to shawmutt
I have a little HOB on my 5 1/2-gal QT--as long as there isn't too much flow to overwhelm a sick fish its fine. However, I wouldn't recommend using any equipment from a QT tank on your main tank, since disease or parasites in the QT can easily be transferred to the main tank.

Old 06-28-2004, 05:22 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to dhs9831 Send a message via Yahoo to dhs9831
I agree with shawmutt, dont ever use ANY equipment or contents of a QT tank for your main tank. If you want to use a filter system, get a small HOB, nothing too powerful.
Old 06-28-2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

One of the things I was hoping to accomplish by moving the HOB back to the main tank was avoiding a cycle on the QT tank. I was thinking that it would provide a nice stable environment for a QT. Do people who use a sponge filter and stick in the back of their main tank for their QT tanks just throw away the sponge filter when they break down their QT?

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 10:19 AM   #5
AA Team Emeritus

I keep a small filter running in my main tank to be used in my Q-tank, and I do think it is the best way to go. You have a seeded filter ready and it helps a lot since I do not keep my Q-tank up and running between times.

If I am treating a sick fish in the tank, after treatment is over I sterilize the small filter completely with brand new media and a rinse with a light bleach water solution, then it goes back in one of the big tanks to build bacteria again. Maybe this is reckless, but I have not had a problem yet with this method. The alternative is to just keep the tankup and running and toss some ammonia or fish food in there periodically.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:05 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, if you want to use it for your main tank, be sure to sterilize very very well, and as TankGirl said, get all new media. But, I still dont reccommend it if you can avoid it. Chances are if you do this, (what TankGirl said) you probably will have no problem, obviously she doesnt, and I think she knows what shes talking about.. Its just not something Id personally do, but maybe I am just anal about those things. Maybe even fill the QT tank with a bleach solution before breaking it down and running the filter in it would be a good idea as well, but never use the same media for the two tanks. Is there really a need for you to tear it down though... why not keep it up and running until you need it again.. because chances are you will at some point, and when that comes, it will already be cycled and such requiring little or no prep other than the meds you put in it. I think its always good to have the QT prepared incase of a situation that will call for it. Just my opinion though, and Im not very smart, so never take my word for things!
Old 06-28-2004, 11:11 AM   #7
AA Team Emeritus

Don't say you aren't smart, dhs - you understand what might happen and are taking a smart approach. It is a wise thing to keep each tank safe from cross-contamination, so don't sell yourself short! It is one of the many issues in aquarium keeping that has no real right or wrong answer - everyone handles some things in completely different ways, and we do what works for us. That is why I love this board!
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:24 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well bless your heart Miss TG, your so kind Definately some Kudos to you!

Dave
Old 06-28-2004, 11:25 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

What kind of filter do you use TankGirl?

greenfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

PS TankGirl.. I love your avatar... how did you do that... maybe I could hire you to make me one! :P

Tags
hob

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com