Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2011, 05:55 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert90 View Post
Well here's a general rule of thumb for cleaning ur media. Once the flow rate reduces, u clean it! However if u are getting random reading of ammonia from a cycle tank and can't determine where it's come from, check and clean ur filter. There's no need to rinse it every pwc.

Yes BB are found through out ur tank! Eg any surface area in ur tank in contact with water should have BB! But majority of ur bb is found in ur filter media so washing them in untreated water or replacing it when it's not necessary will result in a mini cycle! The reason y the instruction manual says change ur biological and mechanical media every few months is so they can earn money! So unless it's carbon don't replace it until they are falling apart!
I forgot to mention this in the last post, but I do, of course, realize the companies want to make money with the constant purchasing of new media -- but the Aqueon cartridges I use do in fact contain carbon in them, which exhaust rather quickly from my understanding...

Old 05-17-2011, 06:06 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes carbon needs to be replaced every 30 days. But carbon is only necessary to remove meds. U don't need it for general filtration. In fact research showed that carbon even removes trace minerals from water column!

Old 05-17-2011, 06:34 AM   #13

So, then is it advisable to keep replacing the media cartirdges for the Aqueon filter? Should I just rinse these as well?
Old 05-17-2011, 06:38 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter
So, then is it advisable to keep replacing the media cartirdges for the Aqueon filter? Should I just rinse these as well?
Ermm ya same deal! Any filter media for any filter shouldn't be replaced unless falling apart unless it's carbon.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:45 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hubert90 View Post
Ermm ya same deal! Any filter media for any filter shouldn't be replaced unless falling apart unless it's carbon.
...but you mean an actual carbon pouch by itself, right? If the carbon is inside a cartridge (cotton floss) then these are okay to rinse and reuse?

Actual carbon pouches should be thrown out and replaced, is that what you mean (if necessary, like for removal of meds, etc.)?
Old 05-18-2011, 12:45 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osage_Winter
Do the same for those pouch cartridges, rinse/clean in PWC water and put it back in until it falls apart. The carbon will load up and then do nothing, it won't leach anything back into the tank and will actually become a breeding ground for beneficial bacteria from research I did on carbon.

For your AC filter, consider poly-fil where the carbon pouch goes. It's the best fine filter/floss media I've found and a $5 bag will last forever. You can get it at craft/fabric stores and make sure it's pure poly, no additives.
Old 05-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Limpet

Do the same for those pouch cartridges, rinse/clean in PWC water and put it back in until it falls apart. The carbon will load up and then do nothing, it won't leach anything back into the tank and will actually become a breeding ground for beneficial bacteria from research I did on carbon.
That's true if the ur ph stays near constant. If ur ph drops or raises drastically ur carbon will start leaching watever it absorbed by into ur water column. So it's a risky business.
Old 05-18-2011, 03:14 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I actually found that to be a myth for the most part.

"We are often told that exhausted activated carbon will leach adsorbed substance back into the aquarium and cause problems. To avoid this, we are told to replace old activated carbon monthly. This assumption is actually wrong. De-adsroption can only be done by switching from one pH extreme (very acidic or basic) to the other pH extreme. These extreme pH values are way outside the normal range of aquarium so don’t worry about de-adsorption."

Here's a profile of sorts I did on carbon:

Fluval 405 media? - Page 2 - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
Old 05-18-2011, 11:08 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ya that wat i was referring to. So there is still a chance of de-absorption. If u are gonna use it as a bb breeding ground. Better use biological media or sponges.

Tags
aquaclear, biological, clear, filter, hob, nitrate, quietflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com