HOB Refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dgameman1

Aquarium Advice Activist
I currently have a HOB Marineland 150 Filter

My display tank is 29 gallons high

Now. I've been looking around for making them into a fuge.

My questions are, I got a chaeto and just placed it in the filter. Do you suggest I take out the filter cartridge? It does mechanical filtration and has carbon inside of it as well

What do you think I should do about the biowheel as well?

Anything else you suggest I put into the filter? Live rock? Sand? I also want to start a pod farm in there so that when I get my mandarin dragon, he can eat.

What do you guys suggest all in all?

You'd need a light for it. IMHO it's not gonna help very much for either nutrient reduction or as a "pod farm". Please do not put a mandarin in a 29, you will not be able to support it and it will slowly starve.

You'd need a light for it. IMHO it's not gonna help very much for either nutrient reduction or as a "pod farm". Please do not put a mandarin in a 29, you will not be able to support it and it will slowly starve.

I just ordered a light. This one to be exact

And I believe I've been breeding pods for a while now. I have a lot of live rock. Why do you say it won't support it? Just curious

Because they devour hundreds of pods a day. Unless it eats frozen it would starve in that tank

Refugiums become more effective from 2 things, size and lighting. Small ones can only export smaller amounts of nutrients, where larger will be able to export more. Then the quality of lighting will also assist in the growth of the algae that you are growing...better lighting will = better growth, with then = better nutrient export.

Refugiums become more effective from 2 things, size and lighting. Small ones can only export smaller amounts of nutrients, where larger will be able to export more. Then the quality of lighting will also assist in the growth of the algae that you are growing...better lighting will = better growth, with then = better nutrient export.

I put two filter pads, chaeto, and in thinking about putting in a tiny love rock underneath the chaeto and my lights arrive Tuesday!

Just the algae. Sand and rock won't be enough to have any benefit is you already have one pound per gallon of both in rock and sand in the display.

I just added a tiny rock that went right where the biowheel used to be

Back
Top Bottom