HOB skimmer for sump?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red Beard

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
O.K. This has me scratching my head. I am setting up a 55g fowlr (future reef) with a 20g sump. The sump is not drilled, no bubble trap, has 3 sections;

1) intake with filter/drip tray/maybe live rock in future
2) decent size area for protien skimmer/heater
3) section for return pump

The LFS clerk is trying to sell me a HOB protien skimmer to hang on my sump. He does not carry a large selection in shop, but wouldn't I want one in the sump rather than a hob one?I think he is just trying to dump what he has on hand instead of ordering what I probably need. I believe it is a seaclone 100.

LFS CLERK:rocket: or LFS CLERK :lilangel: ????

Don't do it. Seaclones are pretty crappy. A protein skimmer is something you don't really want to skimp on. I run and always will, ASM skimmers, they are awesome once they break in. Not too expensive either. Octopus also makes a good skimmer I hear.
ASM G Series P rotein Skimmers
You could get away with a Mini-G, but if there is a chance that you will ever upgrade, Spend like the extra 30-40 on the G-1. The only difference between the G-1 and the G-1x is the pump, so if you need to you can just get that bigger pump someday and you will be good for 150 gallons.

Back
Top Bottom