HOB skimmer noise

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I installed an Eshopps PSK-75H skimmer 2 days ago and it's still fairly noisy.

I know some of the noise is vibration of the hood, which is coming off this week. However the motor/venturi/something seems a little louder than it should.

Any suggestions on how to quiet this down, or is it normal during break in?

just put your ear as close as possible to the airline. if you hear excessive noise there, simply buy a airline silencer and youll be good to go. also you may want to put a thin layer rubber gasket between the skimmer and the tank rim. that should help with noise as well.

I'm going to DIY a silencer for the airline, and will get some foam and/or rubber for where the skimmer meets the tank, as well as a cap of some sort on the return adjustment tube. I'm hoping that it isn't a motor issue.

I mean it wouldnt be hard to make a DIY silencer box for the pump, id just be careful it doesnt overheat it

I'm going to do the pill-container DIY. Should be the same as any purchased silencer. I'm not going to stuff it with floss though, for the reason you mentioned.

i mean in reference to the pump. if the pump is the source of the excessive noise, you can always make a small box to slip over the pump to keep it quiet.

As you know I have the same skimmer. How noisy is it? I can definitely hear mine but it is not crazy loud.

Nvm I just watched the video and that is definitely louder than mine is.

Ive heard from a few people that eshopps skimmers are louder than comparable units from other companies.

After checking the dB level from various parts, most of the noise is from the air intake. I will make a silencer and take it from there.

Back
Top Bottom