HOB Skimmer, or just wait and get a sump? (55gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boardsurfer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,

I know how this hobby is...You think you want to do something one way (and save a little money) and then 1 year later, you choose to scrap that and do what you should have done in the first place. For example, lighting. Should have bit the bullet and got the more expensive halides instead of CF. But anyway, to my question:

Please see my signature below. I have a really cheap skimmer. Should I buy a Remora Pro hang on back skimmer for my 55 gallon, or should I bite the bullet and buy a sump for my tank, and get a skimmer that would go in the sump?

It seems I need a good skimmer, but I'm thinking a sump is what I need since I want to go more reef. Any thoughts? My LFS says I should do it right the first time and save up for a sump, and then get the appropriate skimmer for the sump. What do you think?

well i run my reef with a canister, thay way i can change out carbon. Hmm...I haven't changed out the carbon in like 4 months. I think its time to change it out again. If i were you though, I would get a sump and go with something like a Euroreef. NOTHING beats a good skimmer. Personally i like my SeaClone because it takes out a cup of coffe-black skimmate a week.

HTH

If you really like how the hang on the back Remora works then you might look into the Urchin. It's just a version of the Remora but it has an extension for the ph or pump so it works in sump.

pufferman said:
Personally i like my SeaClone because it takes out a cup of coffe-black skimmate a week.

HTH

Seaclones seem to be hit or miss. I have a seaclone and it doesn't work nearly as effective as the remora or bakpack.

the remora pro is rated for a 75, so i think you could still have it as a hob, and have a sump, meaning that you could have the sump, and still run the remora as a hob on mt. everything else could be in the sump though. i think it could work. maybe get the skimmer, then work on the sump plans.

I bet you could easily turn a remora pro into an in-sump skimmer.. you could hang it on the sump, depending on the water level, or you could build some kind of return chute and use longer piping to put the pump into the sump. this would effectively turn it into an urchin.

note that I've never dene this, but it seems plausible.

The Ramora is an awsome skimmer regardless if you have add a sump or not in the long run. I think I would go with it for right now.

Back
Top Bottom